language and culture

islam-2

palistain/arabic
peace be with you all:
i wounder what can we call the person who changes his ideas about the ideas and the life style of the society he lives in .i mean he may change his language his behavior .
jasmin
thanks

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    We might consider such a person an iconoclast or a maverick. It really depends on the connotation you wish to convey.

Welcome to the forums. :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    islam-2 said:
    Peace be with you all:
    I wonder what you would call someone who changes his ideas about the ideas and the life style of the society he lives in. I mean he may change his language or his behavior.
    Jasmin
    Thanks
    Someone who changes his own ideas about the society he lives in could be flexible, adaptable, learning - or uncertain, insecure and weak-willed.

Could you give us a little more information about what kind of change you are interested in?

Panj

Hello Jasmin,

Maybe you could refer to the person as "counterculture" (there is a recent thread on that somewhere around here. That is a broad term that could cover a lot of groups. But when people change their ideas about society (or try to change society's ideas), the word we use for them is different depending on how they go about it.

You could be a maverick or an artist, a goth or a politician, a groundbreaker or a slacker...

Can you give us more info?

islam-2 said:
    peace be with you all:
    i wounder what can we call the person who changes his ideas about the ideas and the life style of the society he lives in .i mean he may change his language his behavior .
    jasmin
    thanks

islam-2

palistain/arabic
    Peace be with you :
    i mean someone who thinks that the social ideas of his society about the relationship between males and females is so complex as i have in my society they consider them selves uncivilized and that they are wrong and the westren societies are right
    is it clear now and i am sorry for all the grammatical mistakes i did and i will do in future becouse iam still learning the language

BENAVIDES

Spanish
    It must be a person that has different personalities, like multipersonalities, since somebody thinks or have an idea about something one must stick to it.

I don`t know what the exact name, but it is something like that.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If I understand correctly, this is someone who has come to feel that the culture he has been born into is alien to him, and he feels that he would be more comfortable living in a different culture.

What I would call such a person depends entirely on my own opinion of the culture he has been born into.

If I am part of that culture, I am likely to think of this person in very negative terms - because he is rejecting something that I believe in very strongly. Each culture will have its own terms of disapproval.

If I am part of the different culture that he wishes to become part of, then I think of him very positively - because he is wishing to become part of something that I believe in very strongly. Each culture will have its own terms of approval.

If I am part of neither, I may not be particularly concerned about his choices, and I think nothing of his choices. In this case, I need no word to describe this man and his choices from my own perspective - apart from free (I hope).

I don't expect this helps a great deal.

DaleC

islam-2 said:
    peace be with you all:
    jasmin
    thanks

Does your language really have such a word? What you have described is so vague that I don't think English has a word for it.

Languages have many words for specific changes in thought.

DAH

USA/California--English
    In one sense, when one changes his religious, ethnocentric, nationalistic beliefs and/or traditions to something outside that center, this change may be charactertized as an "internationalist" or having a "world view."

I.C.

D
    Nonconformist, renegade, free spirit - I guess.
    Meanings and connotations vary.
    Terms with much more negative connotations exist.