lapels

fantasia

France
hey everybody! :)
I am translating a short story by Frederick Busch, "A Handbook for Spies";
Has anybody worked on it too or heard about it?
There is a poem in it: by John Donne "The Relic" , does anybody know a site or where i can find a French translation for this particular poem, it's weird that i haven't find one, Donne is pretty famous!

Besides that! what is "lapels" in French?

take care
Fantasia

• Benjy

English - English
    fantasia said:
    hey everybody! :)
    I am translating a short story by Frederick Busch, "A Handbook for Spies";
    Has anybody worked on it too or heard about it?
    There is a poem in it: by John Donne "The Relic" , does anybody know a site or where i can find a French translation for this particular poem, it's weird that i haven't find one, Donne is pretty famous!

Besides that! what is "lapels" in French?

take care
    Fantasia

don't know about the books but a lapel is un revers (quand on parle des vetements..la partie repliée) in french :)

fantasia

France
    thanks for your answer benjy!
    I think i got a tough one here:
    how do you translate in French "so much the worse" (i think it's the English version) and the American version "tough shit" ! How make the difference in French!!
    But maybe it's a cultural issue!

Benjy

English - English
    fantasia said:
    thanks for your answer benjy!
    I think i got a tough one here:
    how do you translate in French "so much the worse" (i think it's the English version) and the American version "tough shit" ! How make the difference in French!!
    But maybe it's a cultural issue!

lol.. the answer would be "tant pis" but tough s**t is kind of low on the vocal register. not recommended unless your with your close friends. tough luck might be a better thing to say. and is both used in england and the states

edit:i don't know if there is a different more slangy way to say it in french.. mayb you can help me :eek:"

fantasia

France
    well that's the problem there is not really a slang way to say tant pis! but i need to find one because i have the 2 versions in the text so a distinction has to appear in French too!!!