last rehearsal in a musical context

< Previous | Next >

LV4-26

Hello all,

What's the English term for the last rehearsal before a concert?

I've found dress rehearsal in the WR dictionary but obviously, that can only work for plays or operas.

What about instrumental music?

Any help appreciated.
J-M

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    We had dress rehearsals for choir and orchestra, too. It meant going through the concert as though it were the real thing, with lights and sound and no interruptions.

LV4-26

We had dress rehearsals for choir and orchestra, too. It meant going through the concert as though it were the real thing, with lights and sound and no interruptions.
    (emphasis added)
    Thanks, Nunty. Yes, that's the kind of thing I have in mind.
    However, I'm still a bit surprised that a symphonic orchestra should have a dress rehearsal..
    I mean, I understand that they must be dressed in their concert suits. But that's not the essential point of a final rehearsal for instrumentists, is it?
    Oh, well, I guess it's just an idiom and you've got to take it for what it is.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    J-M,

I might use: a final dress rehearsal, since you stated it was the last one before the actual performance. That's not absolutely necessary, but there can be more than one dress rehearsal.

A more casual term: a final run-through

LV4-26

J-M,

I might use: a final dress rehearsal, since you stated it was the last one before the actual performance. That's not absolutely necessary, but there can be more than one dress rehearsal.

A more casual term: a final run-through
    Thanks AngelEyes.

Now for some additional context
    How does that sound
    ....final rehearsal/(final) dress rehearsal/final run-through open to primary and secondary school audiences.
    ?
    (meaning that children from the various local schools will be able to attend the final rehearsal for free).

This is common practice where I work. The children come as a class group, during class hours, with their teachers, to attend the dress rehearsal.

Last edited:

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    In that context, I would definitely use "dress rehearsal". Dress rehearsals are often open to limited audiences.

LV4-26

In that context, I would definitely use "dress rehearsal". Dress rehearsals are often open to limited audiences.
    Thanks Nunty.
    I suspected something like that, which is why I added more context.
    I suppose the term dress rehearsal almost conveys the idea of an actual (pre-)concert, which final run-through does not.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I agree with Nunty. I only mentioned final run-through as just an additional bit of information. :)

And in the limited instances of theatre productions that I've been in, the (final) dress rehearsals have been open to certain groups, too.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In my vast musical experience, and that of my 10-year-old granddaughter, a final rehearsal or final run-through is not necessarily a full performance, likely to involve lots of interruptions and often not performing all elements all the way through.
    I would expect a dress rehearsal to be much more representative of the final event.

< Previous | Next >