Last time I drove home it was raining

Fbohn21

Deutsch
Hello

I am driving home from my grandma’s, last time I drove home there was a sto and it was raining.

Is it possible to say:
Last time I drove here it was raining.

I think it is.

But does this work:
Last time it rained I was driving here.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Fbohn.

I agree that it is possible to say "Last time I drove here it was raining."

I don't know of any rule that forbids you from saying "Last time it rained I was driving here."

When I refer to a last time in my own speech, I always use the definite article: The last time I drove here, it was raining.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Is it possible to say:
    Last time I drove here it was raining.
    Yes. This is idiomatic.
    But does this work:
    Last time it rained I was driving here
    Not quite. What are you trying to say?
    For the same meaning as the previous sentence, you could add "as" or "when" before "I". The construction is a little strained as "last time" refers to "as I was driving here", but it is common enough in speech.
    If you mean that there has been no rain since the time you last drove here, you need "the" before "last time" to remove any doubts of ambiguity in what is rather an unusual coincidence. You don't need "the" in your original sentence (not when spoken at any rate), because the meaning is obvious and expected.

Fbohn21

Deutsch
    Ok thank you :) but isn’t drive continuous as well?

So e.g

I’d have to say:

Last time I was driving here a car crashed and I had to call the ambulance.

In that case I can’t say:
    Last time I drove here a car crashed and I had to call the ambulance.

Or can I ?

owlman5

English-US
    Both raining and driving can be expressed as continuous events.

Many choices that people make in choosing tenses are arbitrary, Fbohn. I can't think of any clear rule to guide you here.

I would be most likely to say "The last time I drove here, it was raining." When I choose that version, I view the driving as one action that doesn't need to be expressed as a continuous or ongoing action. I view the rain as an ongoing event that took place as I drove.

< Previous | Next >