'Last weekend I spent at home'

< Previous | Next >

Elena_2014

Russian
Hello,
Could you help me please with the following sentences:

Last weekend I spent at home with my parents.
I spent last weekend at home with my parents.

The first one sounds natural to me though the object normally goes after the subject and the verb. My teacher said only the second sentence is right. But I still doubt it. I believe both are correct. Is it right?

Thank you in advance!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The second form is the idiomatic way of saying this as a standalone sentence. I wouldn't say the first form is wrong, but it's not what native speakers would usually say, except perhaps in spoken form in response to a question ("what did you do last weekend?") or as part of a longer sentence.

london calling

UK English
    Hello and welcome.:)

The first sentence sounds totally unnatural. This kind of inversion sounds very odd, I could only accept in a very specific context. So, as far as I am concerned, without a specific context, only the second sentence is correct.

Elena_2014

Russian
    The second form is the idiomatic way of saying this as a standalone sentence. I wouldn't say the first form is wrong, but it's not what native speakers would usually say, except perhaps in spoken form in response to a question ("what did you do last weekend?") or as part of a longer sentence.
    Yes, it was in response to a question about how I spent my last weekend. Thank you for your clarification.

dn88

Polish
    I think that "last weekend" placed at the beginning of the sentence gives the false impression that it is being used as a time marker.

london calling

UK English
    I think that "last weekend" placed at the beginning of the sentence gives the false impression that it is being used as a time marker.
    It is a time marker, regardless of whether it is at the beginning of a sentence or not.

To get back to Elena's question. If someone were to ask me

What did you do over the weekend?

I would reply

I spent last weekend at home with my parents.
    Last weekend? I spent it at home with my parents.

dn88

Polish
    I meant an adverbial time marker.

In "I spent last weekend at home with my parents," "last weekend" appears to be the object of "spent."

Elena_2014

Russian
    I meant an adverbial time marker.

In "I spent last weekend at home with my parents," "last weekend" appears to be the object of "spent."
    So as an adverbial time marker it is correct to put it at the beginning of the sentence, e.g.:

Last weekend I went to Rome.

but as an object it's not grammatically correct, as in the example below:

Last weekend I spent at home.

Once again, big thank you everyone for taking time to reply and for your clarification for all the details.

dn88

Polish
    That's precisely what I meant. "Last weekend I spent at home" would have to be interpreted as an inverted version of "I spent last weekend at home" in order for it to be even considered grammatical. In "Last weekend I went to Rome," on the other hand, "last weekend" is an adverbial time marker, just like "last year" or "yesterday." You can also move it to the end of the sentence. When such a time marker is at the beginning of a sentence, however, adding a comma will sometimes make that sentence easier to read.

Last edited:

Linkway

British English
    I spent last weekend at home with my parents. :tick::tick:

Last weekend, I spent the time at home with my parents. :tick:

< Previous | Next >