Is this sentence correct?

I last met you last fall.

And how about this one?

I met you last, last fall.

Thanks in advance.

• TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    "The last time I met you was last fall"

"Met" sounds weird here because, technically, you only meet someone once (the first time you are introduced to them).
    I would say "The last time I saw you was last fall"

Akasaka

Japanese
    Thank you.
    Then how about "I last saw you last fall."?
    Is this sentence all right as it is?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Of course, "I last met you last fall." is grammatically and logically acceptable, assuming that you are talking about meeting for a drink or dinner rather than meeting for the first time. It will sound at least a little confusing to most AE speakers (and possibly to many BE speakers).
    "I met you last last fall." is a viable version of the first sentence.
    "I last saw you last fall." is fine.

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    Technically it is grammatically correct, but the way it is worded sounds weird because the two "lasts" are so close together. Personally, I prefer my example above, but that's just me. Maybe someone else has a different opinion.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Technically it is grammatically correct, but the way it is worded sounds weird because the two "lasts" are so close together. Personally, I prefer my example above, but that's just me. Maybe someone else has a different opinion.
    Really, any use of "met you" to mean anything but a first encounter sounds odd these days to me. The addition of a repetition like "last last" is infelicitous, as well.

It does not sound at all odd to me to use "meet" to mean "encounter someone, and not just for the first time". I would think it perfectly natural to say:
    I met my mother in front of the drugstore.

JamesM

It does not sound at all odd to me to use "meet" to mean "encounter someone, and not just for the first time". I would think it perfectly natural to say:
    I met my mother in front of the drugstore.
    I agree. "Since we're taking separate cars, I'll meet you at the entrance to the park and give you your ticket there." This doesn't imply to me that it's a first meeting at all.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would not be averse to using "met" as well in everyday life, but I hasten to point out that the specific meaning of met is made very clear by the context of the examples given by WWB and JM.

I met my mother in front of the drugstore
    . From the use of the word mother, the meaning of met is fairly clear.
    "Since we're taking separate cars, I'll meet you at the entrance to the park and give you your ticket there." Since you are talking to the person you will meet, it's clear you won't be meeting later for the first time.

Also, I think "I met" is more likely to be ambiguous in comparison to "I will meet."

I don't think I'lll have anything else to add to this topic. Consummatum est.

< Previous | Next >