• WARNING: The forums will be closed for maintenance for 60-90 minutes starting at 10:30 am US Eastern Time (GMT -5, 2:30 pm in most of Europe).

lasting vs. longstanding

LQZ

Mandarin
When the researchers looked at lasting complications more than 18 months later, they found that men who had minimally invasive surgery were at greater risk of suffering from XX and ZZ than those who had open surgery. ----taken from New York Times

Dear all,

I am trying to know whether "longstanding" can be substituted for "lasting" and meaning won't change in this context. Thanks in advance.

LQZ

• pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    I don't think you could use it in this context. Longstanding, to me, is considerably more than 18 months and is more often used to refer to agreements or traditions.

LQZ

Mandarin
    :)Thank you, pickarooney, I have one more question, could you please tell me what "lasting" is usually used to refers to ?

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    LQZ,

"Lasting" is more general and refers to any condition that is ongoing, continuing, or persistent.
    "Longstanding" refers to a situation (usually an agreement or tradition) that has been in place or has been upheld for a long time.

< Previous | Next >