Latch- lock - bolt

Discussion in 'English Only' started by emanko, Aug 21, 2017.

1. emanko Senior Member

Egypt
    Arabic- Egyptian
    Hello

I'd like to know the difference between the following words:
    Latch, bolt and door

I did some research and this is what I understood. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For any door to close, there has to be a small metal object inside it and fits in a space on the other side. This can be opened from the inside and outside. This is a latch.

If we need more protection, we can use a lock or a bolt. A bolt is a metal screw that you push from the inside to prevent anyone from entering. You push again and you're no longer locked inside.

A lock is a piece of metal connected to the latch somehow, but you need a key to open it.

Please confirm whether or not I understand them right.
    And please tell me what do we call the metal object that is put on the door from the inside and that goes into a space on the rim of the door? Do we also call it bolt?

Thank you

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    A latch:
    [​IMG]

A bolt

[​IMG]

A lock:

[​IMG]

3. emanko Senior Member

Egypt
    Arabic- Egyptian
    Exterior-Door-Locks-Contemporary-With-Image-Of-Decorating-Ideas-Exterior-Door-Fresh-.jpg Thank you.

Is the part circled in red also considered a "latch"?

4. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
  5. emanko Senior Member

Egypt
    Arabic- Egyptian
    Thank you.

6. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    That bit of a lock is called a latch when we say 'Leave the door on the latch!' This means leave it so it can be opened without using a key. This might mean in effect disabling the latch so it doesn't engage in the lock on the door frame.

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    This will explain the vocabulary of a lock:

[​IMG]
    You will see that a latch (short form of latchbolt) has a radiused or angled side that allows it to close automatically when it hits the keep/striking/strike plate. If this part is simply straight/square, then it is "the deadlock/deadlock bolt/dead bolt."
    A bolt is usually a metal rod.
    The deadlock knob is also known as "the snib" and may be a button that is slid up or sideways.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. emanko Senior Member

Egypt
    Arabic- Egyptian
    Thank you, Paul. That was very useful.
    What are "lock buttons"? Is it the part opened by a key?
    And the whole thing, is it called a lock or a lockset?

Thank you

9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The lock buttons hold the handle down. They are toggled (when one button is in, the other is out and vice versa.)

If you press the handle down (when the dead bolt is hidden in the lock), then the latch bolt is withdrawn into the lock. If you now press one of lock buttons inwards, the handle is locked in that position (i.e. with the latch bolt inside the lock). This means that the whole lock does not operate and the door can be opened and closed freely merely by pushing or pulling the door. This is convenient if, for example, the door is in constant use, partiuclarly if people want to get through whilst they are carrying things.
    It is technically known as a "lockset" but generally referred to as a "lock".