"late home"

< Previous | Next >

brianleung

Cantonese
I just saw the following sentence in a textbook and I wonder if it's grammatically correct and idiomatic.

​I'll be late home today if/unless...

• brianleung

Cantonese
    This is actually from an exercise where students have to complete the sentence.
    I'm concerned about the given part.

owlman5

English-US
    Perpend's request was reasonable, brianleung. Your observation that the language fragment comes from an exercise clears things up a little. Please remember that the rules do ask members to provide complete sentences for their language questions, so members will typically ask you for a complete sentence if you don't provide one.

The word order "late home" looks very odd to me. "Home late" would be the normal word order for that phrase in your example.

brianleung

Cantonese
    Thanks for the answer, perpend.
    Owlman, I understand the reason behind perpend's request, and I admit I should've provided the information when I created the post. I remember the rule - I just don't have a complete sentence. That having said, would it have been better if I had completed the sentence myself?

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the answer, perpend.
    Owlman, I understand the reason behind perpend's request, and I admit I should've provided the information when I created the post. I remember the rule - I just don't have a complete sentence. That having said, would it have been better if I had completed the sentence myself?
    I think it would have been helpful if you had mentioned that your source was itself an incomplete sentence. That information should be enough when you don't have a complete sentence to work with. Thank you for complying with the rules, Brian. :)

< Previous | Next >