Latency in the appearance of symptoms

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
I don't quite understand "Latency in the appearance of symptoms." These "symptoms" here don't include the symptoms of chronic kidney disease. Am I on the right track?

This analysis is rarely done in the practice of traditional medicine where diagnosis and treatment are guided by principles of a complex, ancient healing system based on the principles of yin and yang, elements linked to organ systems of the body, the emotions, the climates, the seasons, and tastes. Latency in the appearance of symptoms is likely to temporarily obscure chronic kidney disease and/or carcinogenicity associated with other TCM herbs. Thus, we conclude that a long history of usage is insufficient to assure the safety of herbal remedies.

Source:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.15252/embr.201642375

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It seems to me that Latency in the appearance of symptoms has been mentioned earlier in relation to some illness or condition of which {chronic kidney disease and/or carcinogenicity associated with other TCM herbs} would produce the similar symptoms.

So the question is "Symptoms of what?"

Andygc

British English
    As it says in the text, symptoms of
    chronic kidney disease and/or carcinogenicity associated with other TCM herbs
    The latency is the time delay between the disease process starting and symptoms of the disease process appearing. In this case, the long period between taking other TCM herbs and developing symptoms of chronic kidney disease and/or carcinoma. So even though somebody may have been taking herbal remedies for a long time, their lack of symptoms does not mean that they are not developing chronic kidney disease or carcinoma caused by the herbal remedies.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It actually says: "In AAN1, renal cortical fibrosis develops slowly over a long period before symptoms of renal dysfunction appear."

1These observations established AA as the mutagen responsible for initiating UTUC (2), and the terms BEN and CHN were replaced in the literature by “aristolochic acid nephropathy” (AAN). UTUC remains an integral part of the disease entity.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Agreeing with Andy.

Because symptoms take a long time to appear, the person taking the substance doesn't consciously associate cause with effect. The delay masks that relationship.

Andygc

British English
    It actually says: ...............
    But what is your point? The concept of latency in disease progression is a simple one - the disease starts, there's a delay, the symptoms appear.
    Catch the cold virus, the virus multiplies, wait a couple of days, then start sneezing. A short latency.
    Consume herbal medicine, start to develop renal fibrosis, wait many months or years, then exhibit signs of renal failure. Prolonged latency.

PS. In case you didn't realise it, the abbreviation TCM means "traditional Chinese medicine" and the author is referring to the latency of symptoms associated with herbs used in TCM other than Aristolochia.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    The question is the collocation of "latency" and "appearance", which appears to be contradictory. Can latency have an appearance? Can an appearance be latency? An oxymoron here?

Now the question is crystal clear.

Thank you.:)

the author is referring to the latency of symptoms associated with herbs used in TCM other than Aristolochia.
    The expression "the latency of symptoms" is easy to understand. Yet "the latency in the appearance of symptoms" is a bit hard to get.

Lukily it is now clear.

kentix

English - U.S.
    the latency in the appearance of symptoms

This is more technically correct in my mind. Latency is a reference to time. Appearance of symptoms is a reference to time. High latency refers to a long time delay before symptoms are observable.

Andygc

British English
    The expression "the latency of symptoms" is easy to understand. Yet "the latency in the appearance of symptoms" is a bit hard to get.
    Sorry, I was lazy; I should have written the latency in the appearance of symptoms in that post.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    But what is your point?
    My point is that I was asking for context from New America.

Latency in the appearance of the symptoms refer to the symptoms of aristolochic acid nephropathy (AAN)
    In AAN, renal cortical fibrosis develops slowly over a long period before symptoms of renal dysfunction appear. An even longer delay, sometimes as long as 20–30 years, occurs between exposure to AA and the appearance of symptoms of UTUC. [...]. Latency in the appearance of symptoms is likely to temporarily obscure chronic kidney disease and/or carcinogenicity associated with other TCM herbs. Thus, we conclude that a long history of usage is insufficient to assure the safety of herbal remedies.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Sorry, I was lazy; I should have written the latency in the appearance of symptoms in that post.
    In case that was a response to my comment, I was responding directly to NA, who said the other version was clear. It shouldn't haven't been clearer than the longer more accurate version. Although I think the short version you used would be easily understood in context.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    Latency in the appearance of the symptoms refer to the symptoms of aristolochic acid nephropathy (AAN)
    Sorry, but it doesn't, and that is not what the sentence says. It refers to latency in the appearance of symptoms associated with other traditional Chinese medicine herbs. Any latency in the development of symptoms of disease due to Aristolochia cannot in any way affect the development of symptoms of chronic kidney disease and/or carcinogenicity associated with other TCM herbs.

< Previous | Next >