later/ after

< Previous | Next >

Tomo01

Japanese
I would like to write 'I will inform you about it on this website later", but people say that "later" should be used in a past sentence.
Is it true?

Then I would be very grateful if someone let me know "later" could be replaced with "after" in the following sentence.

"we are currently waiting for disclosure of the detailed information. We will inform you about it on this website after. "

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I think you can say this in AE without raising too many eyebrows. In BE, however, 'after' would not normally be used in this adverbial way, we'd say 'afterwards' instead.

boozer

Bulgarian
    If Edinburgher had not mentioned this as a possibility in AE, I would have said the use of 'after' was completely ungrammatical... :)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I would say it is completely ungrammatical - "We will inform you about it after" what? After Christmas? After we finish rounding up the bishop's aardvarks? After the end of The World As We Know It?

"We will inform you about it later" is correct.

Tomo01

Japanese
    Thank you very much for all your answers!!
    At least, I understand we could say "we will inform you about it later" in AE.
    Well, I remember that I was told 'later' should be used in past sentence by an Australian, which makes me confused.
    Edinburgher says its adverbial use is not common even in BE and we would say 'aferwards'.
    Then I wonder how it would work as an adverb...

When 'after' is followed by a noun,I know it works as a preposition.
    But the point is that WRF dictionary says the word works as an adverb.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I think we need more context. What are you informing people about on the website? When is "later"? When is "after"?

I am going to a concert in November. I will tell you about it after. This sounds very informal, if not incorrect, but it is clear. I will tell you about the concert after I go. Most people would say "after I go" or "afterward." Using "after" this way is a regionalism.

I went to a concert last week. I will tell you about it later. I want to tell you about it, but I don't have time now.

Last edited:

Tomo01

Japanese
    Thank you very much for your responses and examples.
    My context is below;

"We are now waiting for a disclosure of the food information, so will inform you more on this website afterward."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "Afterward" doesn't have the right ring to it; for me it needs the 's' on the end: "afterwards" (in a similar way to that in which "towards" is to be preferred over "toward" -- I'm not sure why, it may be an AE/BE thing).

That said, I do think 'later' is actually the better word for this context.

< Previous | Next >