Later on in the term

< Previous | Next >

palabra86

Spanish
"In the term" here is "in the end of the semester"? or something else?

Later on in the term, we're actually going to be looking at public universities, and the University California, Berkeley, is the best public university, I would say some data show, in the world.

(From economics lecture)

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Later on in the term" means before the end of the current semester (or trimester or whatever unit the academic year is divided up into; in BrE, "term" almost invariably means trimester). It does not say when, exactly, the thing will take place. It could be next week or it could be on the last day.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Oh I see... so in this case it's impossible to know what this expression mean, how funny :) thanks
    I wouldn't say that. In any context where someone says or writes this, the exact time almost certainly doesn't matter. In my Web development course, I might say on the first day that we'll cover this, then that, then something else, and "later in the term we'll apply those concepts to tables for organizing information and to forms where the user fills in data." The students don't care if we cover tables in Week 9 and forms in Week 10, the other way round, or in different weeks. What matters is that these topics come up after we go through the basic concepts. A person who uses this phrase can undoubtedly be more precise if he or she wants to be, but has chosen to use a general expression. Its meaning is clear, even if it is not precisely defined.

< Previous | Next >