later on

< Previous | Next >

eritranslator

italian
Hi everybody!
"We lunched with him two days later on Christmas Eve, and then the weather was so hot that we only lazily enjoyed the shade and breezes on the stoep."
Do you think it means "we lunched with him two days after Christmas Eve", or "two days later, on Christmas Eve"?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    With no other context I think it means the latter, "two days later, on Christmas Eve." However, there may be more context before the quoted sentence that makes it clear. When was this said, and what other time references are there in the full story?

Added in edit: This is from South African Memories ... by Sara Isabella Augusta, Lady Wilson. (In the future, please try to provide the source of any quotations, and a link if possible. The full text often provides valuable context, and we don't always have time to search for it - but you already have that information.) "Him" refers to Cecil Rhodes. A few pages before the quoted sentence, she says "We landed at Cape Town shortly before Christmas Day." I think this confirms the meaning: Christmas Eve was two days after they landed.

Last edited:

eritranslator

italian
    But souldnt be there a comma, after "later" and before "Christmas Eve"?
    Sorry for not providing a context, only I cant figure out what it means here, even if I read the whole text, and I wondered if there could possibly be a grammatical rule I dont know.

< Previous | Next >