Latin/Ancient Greek: translations of some names

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
Hi, :)

My homework is to rewrite typical Latin words into Ancient Greek. I really have no idea when to choose τ or θ, ο or ω, η or ε, ... so I just gave it a try:

Corinthus Κόρινθος
Rhodus 'Ρόδος
Christus Χριστός
hymnus 'ύμνος
historia 'ιστορία
Olympia Ολυμπία
hora 'όρα
Musa Μόυσα
gymnasium γυμνάσιον
stadium στάδιον
theatrum θήατρον

in the accusative case:
Homerum 'Όμηρον
Philippum Φίλιππον
oceanum ωκεανόν
barbarum βάρβαρον
taurum τάυρον
paedagogum παιδαγωγόν

Thanks for your corrections. :)

• Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    "Th" stands for theta and "t" without "h" stands for tau. You should be able to find those names in a Greek dictionary. ;)

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    a) using this page you can write the aspirated (etc) letters in ancient Greek with no trouble (just click on Greek letters and they all appear!)

b) some "unticked" ones are not wrong. It's just that I wanted to write them with the right accent to make sure.

Corinthus Κόρινθος :tick:
    Rhodus 'Ρόδος Ῥόδος
    Christus Χριστός :tick:
    hymnus 'ύμνος ὓμνος
    historia 'ιστορία ἱστορία
    Olympia Ολυμπία Ὀλυμπία
    hora 'όρα ὣρα
    Musa Μόυσα :tick:
    gymnasium γυμνάσιον:tick:
    stadium στάδιον:tick:
    theatrum θήατρον θέατρον

in the accusative case:
    Homerum 'Όμηρον Ὃμηρον
    Philippum Φίλιππον:tick:
    oceanum ωκεανόν ὠκεανόν
    barbarum βάρβαρον:tick:
    taurum τάυρονταύρον
    paedagogum παιδαγωγόν:tick:

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    a) using this page you can write the aspirated (etc) letters in ancient Greek with no trouble (just click on Greek letters and they all appear!)
    Cool, thanks. :)

Which font do you normally use to type "aspirated apostrophes," for instance?

Corinthus Κόρινθος
    Rhodus 'Ρόδος Ῥόδος
    Christus Χριστός
    hymnus 'ύμνος ὓμνος
    historia 'ιστορία ἱστορία
    Olympia Ολυμπία Ὀλυμπία
    hora 'όρα ὣρα
    Musa Μόυσα
    gymnasium γυμνάσιον
    stadium στάδιον
    theatrum θήατρον θέατρον

in the accusative case:
    Homerum 'Όμηρον Ὃμηρον
    Philippum Φίλιππον
    oceanum ωκεανόν ὠκεανόν
    barbarum βάρβαρον
    taurum τάυρον ταύρον
    paedagogum παιδαγωγόν
    Thanks again. If I have some specific questions to the accents, I will come back and you could perhaps elaborate upon them. :)

ireney

Modistra
    Font? I have the Greek keyboard on my PC (obviously) which you can download from microsoft I believe (I can ask around if you cannot find it). I use the default which is probably New Times Roman probably.

While there are many different fonts which you can use to write in ancient Greek (I can give you some names and links) I don't use them usually because they don't always appear on other people's computers. I therefore, in this case, used the link I posted for the aspirated letters and switched to Greek to type the rest :)

ireney

Modistra
    The keyboard is in modern Greek and we did away with the aspiration marks and kept only one of the accents in 1982 so you can't find it there. There are softwares that allow you to put the aspiration marks etc though. On line I'd go with using the link I've provided for the aspirated character or for any in fact that was a marking not present in modern Greek. For the rest I think it takes less time to just type them using your Greek keyboard.

ireney

Modistra
    Flaminius by all means, what a great idea!
    Someone else in another forum posted it some months ago and I would kiss him if he wasn't a continent and an ocean away and I don't even know how he looks like!

modus.irrealis

English, Canada
    If you have Windows XP, you can install the Greek Polytonic keyboard through the Control Panel, which lets you type in all the extra accents. It's not the most natural setup with some odd key combinations, but I can say you get used to it eventually.

< Previous | Next >