Latin or Roman script

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "Latin or Roman script" tell us "Latin script = Roman script"?

Thanks in advance

Latin or Roman script is a set of graphic signs (script) based on the letters of the classical Latin alphabet, which is derived from a form of the Cumaean Greek version of the Greek alphabet, used by the Etruscans.

-Wiki

Source

• NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Thank you.

Do you mean that Latin script is the father of Roman script?

Another Wiki article has the expression the Roman (Latin) script, making things a bit complicated:

Romanization (also spelled romanisation: see spelling differences), in linguistics, is the conversion of writing from a different writing system to the Roman (Latin) script, or a system for doing so. Methods of romanization include transliteration, for representing written text, and transcription, for representing the spoken word, and combinations of both.

Source

Roman language called Roman because it was state language of Roman empire.
    For foreigns or residents of colonies; Roman impire =Roman language.
    Latin, it becames the dominant language, initially in Italy and subsequently throughout the Roman Empire.
    For residents of Italian peninsula = Latin.
    Since religious textes (written on Latin) spreaded throughout the western Europe and Roman Impire no longer exist. The common name of that language became Latin.

e.g. traditional chinese language has its original name pinyin, for the rest of the world it just chinese language. But we mean the same language.
    The same way German language. Among various german dialectes, by certain reasons, Saxon dialect was taken as a state language, which now for the rest of the wolrld, we know it as German language

Yalta

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    You can use either Roman or Latin, as opposed to Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic or any other script.
    As I am sure you know, script refers to the shapes of the letters, not the language.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Latin or Roman script' simply means "the script called Latin or Roman". Both names are in common use for it. Even I don't know which I prefer.

< Previous | Next >