Laugh at me

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
Is this sentence correct & Is it possible to use at here
  • He laughed at me when I told him that I cut down all my favorite food to brown bread.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Is this sentence correct & Is it possible to use at here
    • He laughed at me when I told him that I cut down all my favorite food to brown bread.
    "He laughed at me" is absolutely correct, ADMP. It's the rest of the sentence that I have a bit of a problem with. It sounds like:

"I cut down my favourite tree to the stump":)

As well, you are saying that brown bread is a favourite food of yours.:eek: Is this what you meant to say? Or, did you really mean to say:

"He laughed at me when I told him that I have restricted my diet to brown bread"

OR

"He laughed at me when I told him that I had cut out eating all of my favourite foods and am left eating brown bread"

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
    Many thanks Dimcl for your help.

What I ment was "He laughed at me when I told him that I had cut out eating all of my favourite foods and am left eating brown bread"

I have a bit problem with verb cut. Yesterday also we discussed about this issue. Could you please explain me the difference between cut out and cut down

Thank you in advance.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Many thanks Dimcl for your help.

What I ment was "He laughed at me when I told him that I had cut out eating all of my favourite foods and am left eating brown bread"

I have a bit problem with verb cut. Yesterday also we discussed about this issue. Could you please explain me the difference between cut out and cut down

Thank you in advance.
    "If you cut down on the number of cigarettes you smoke, you would be much healthier" OR
    "If you cut down on the amount of beer you drink, you'll lose weight"

"Cut down" in this context means to reduce (but not to stop altogether).

"If you cut out smoking cigarettes, you would be much healthier" OR
    "If you cut out drinking beer, you'll lose weight"

"Cut out" means to totally stop doing something.

A common idiom heard (among children especially) is "Cut it out!" This is said to another person who is being annoying. It means to stop doing something.

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
    In my original sentence if I use cut down, is it ok?
    Because I didn't stop eating all my favorite food totally and I reduced some of them and started eating brown bread instead of that.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    In my original sentence if I use cut down, is it ok?
    Because I didn't stop eating all my favorite food totally and I reduced some of them and started eating brown bread instead of that.
    Your original sentence says that you "cut down all of your favourite foods to brown bread". If brown bread is one of your favourite foods, ADMP, then "cut down" is fine. That would mean that you cut down your favourite foods to just brown bread. By using "to", you are saying that the only favourite food you now eat is brown bread.

If brown bread is not one of your favourite foods, you have to say that you "cut out" all of your favourite foods.

(If you can clarify whether brown bread is one of your favourite foods or not, we can make this a lot easier). :)

< Previous | Next >