laugh like cats

< Previous | Next >

carolmoraiss

Banned
Portuguese
Hey guys,

When you hear something like that: "we laughed like cats" does your undestading of this sentence go beyond the idea of people making a sound similar to cats?

Does that mean that people sound creepy or that they laughed really hard?

I saw this expression here, but I'm not sure if the author only meant that they made the same sound as cats (which is just weird) or something else...

"We drank.

We whispered.

We laughed like cats." - Fjord of Killary, Kevin Barry.

Thanks!

• ewie

English English
    Hullo Carol. Well, to be honest, "we laughed like cats" doesn't really convey anything to me. (1) Cats aren't renowned for their sense of humour:cool: (2) Cats don't laugh, not even when a toddler falls down stairs (which is generally enough to make anyone laugh):cool:
    We probably need to know more about Mr Barry's (who?) book (?), what it's about, who is speaking, what kind of language they habitually use, etc. etc. etc.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I don't have a mental image of cats laughing either, but apparently some people do, because there are a fair number of google hits for "laugh like a cat" and "laugh like cats", including some Youtube videos.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The Google hits I got have nothing to do with cats laughing. One example: "...laugh like cats purr". Another example was "laugh like CAT" - CAT is someone's username. I found nothing to make me think this is an established phrase.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    At moggies.co.uk I found this:
    In Ireland if something is funny we say "It would make a cat laugh."

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    At moggies.co.uk I found this:
    In Ireland if something is funny we say "It would make a cat laugh."
    In the US, too, where perhaps it's more usually said as "It's enough to make a cat laugh.", which is used to refer to something that is reallly hilarious since, as has been noted, cats don't laugh (as far as we know...).

< Previous | Next >