Laughing themselves sick

Miaomiao Gong

Chinese
Hello everyone,

In Iris Murdoch's novel "The sea, the sea", The hero Charles was a retired theater director. One day he went to his friend Perry and they drank wiskey. Perry was drunk and he complaint a lot about his failed marriage and recalled their old days in theater.

"Charles, I remember your saying about old Shakespeare that he was the– he was the– only one. Him and some Greek chap no one can understand anyway. [Cut] Wilfred felt that. Sometimes I remember he looked so sad, after he’d had them laughing themselves sick."

<<Excessive quotation deleted.>>

Wilfred was also an excellent actor. He was their friend. But I don't understand "he had them laughing themselves sick".

Who are "them"? The audience? Why did audience laugh themselves? Who was sick? Were audience sick? Why?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    This is an idiom that means he made the audience laugh very hard. If I "laugh myself sick", I laugh so hard that I feel sick when I'm done laughing. That is figurative language. People don't really feel sick after they laugh for a long time. I've certainly never felt sick after doing this, and I've been laughing at things for a very long time.

Miaomiao Gong

Chinese
    Thank you owlman5! I am clear now.

This is an idiom that means he made the audience laugh very hard. If I "laugh myself sick", I laugh so hard that I feel sick when I'm done laughing. That is figurative language. People don't really feel sick after they laugh for a long time. I've certainly never felt sick after doing this, and I've been laughing at things for a very long time.

< Previous | Next >