Launching WordReference virtual dictionaries

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by mkellogg, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi everybody,

We have just launched Virtual Dictionaries on WordReference, for translating from any of our languages to any other language. These dictionaries are created by combining two different dictionaries through English. For instance, the French-Swedish dictionary is created by combining our English-French dictionary with our English-Swedish dictionary. Since both of those last two dictionaries have the same "English side", we were able to connect the meanings of words. This adds over 200 new dictionaries to WordReference. :eek:

I have long been skeptical of dictionaries created by going through a third language, but the results in our testing were good. There will be a lot of holes in a dictionary created in this way, but the dictionary might actually be useful in the end and it may be better than anything else out there for many language pairs.

Please let me know what problems you encounter!

Mike

2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Wooow!!!

I'm going to check this out!!!:cool:

3. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    I tried some: it's impressive!:D

The couple of things I tried gave a much better result than what I had expected!!!

But, I do already have a suggestion:p:

Would it be possible to put a link on the forum's main page (somewhere at the top, e.g. next to the "New Posts" link) that links to the matrix where you can chose the language combination?

Great addition to WR!!

4. bearded

bearded Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Hello Mike
    It's an excellent idea! My congratulations!
    I have a question:
    As far as I can see, in order to reach the new dictionaries you have to digit on the ''Virtual -Dictionaries'' link. Will they be added to the 'normal' list of now available combinations like, say, English-German?
    Thanks in advance for your reply, and
    best regards.

5. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Great job Mike!
    So far I haven't noticed any major mistakes.
    I can't quite figure out, however, how the example sentences are put together.
    In some entries there are example sentences only in the source language, in some others there are both the source sentences and the translations.

6. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Hello Paul,

I think I know. The sample sentences come with the English base. For some WR dictionaries, the sample sentences were translated into the target languages (e.g. in the English-Spanish dictionary) but for other WR dictionaries, these sample sentences were not translated. (e.g. for the English-Dutch dictionary, the sample sentences were not translated).

7. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    I am not so certain that they are going to be so useful to everybody that I would add a link there. It probably does makes sense to add something for forums dedicated to one of these new language pairs, like French-Italian.
    Adding 210 dictionaries to that list isn't exactly practical. We are going to have to figure out something for all of our menus, though. We will probably add "other dictionaries" at the end, that would open up a new menu.
    Yes, the sentences, like all the entries, are from the "English to xx" side. They are both translations of an English sentence.

Good to see this getting a good reception. I am eager to see which of these new dictionaries become popular.

8. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    But Mike, they are not visible:confused:. If I would like to use e.g. the Spanish-Dutch pair, the only way I can get to it is by going to your first post in this thread and click on the link in there to get to the matrix and click the language pair I'm interested in. So, how can you expect them to become popular if people don't see them?

Or, am I missing something here?

9. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  10. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    The number of people who would discover the Spanish-Dutch dictionary starting in the forums would be very small.

We link to the pages from the bottom of all of the other Dutch dictionary pages, and Google searches should find the dictionaries as well. Hopefully, once found, people will bookmark them. :)

11. Hector9

Hector9 Senior Member

Perdón pero no entiendo cómo funciona esto...

Si mal no entiendo lo que hace es que si quiero traducir, por ejemplo, "auto" a Noruego: ¿primero convierte "auto" a "car" (Inglés) y luego "car" a Noruego?

Si es así, para traducir del Español al Portugués no veo sentido a usar como "puente" al inglés ya que tanto el Español como el Portugués son idiomas super inteligibles entre sí...

12. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Entonces, lo que dices es: un diccionario entre el español y el portugués es inútil.:confused:

13. Hector9

Hector9 Senior Member

¡No! Lo que digo es que me parece "inútil" el hecho de usar al diccionario "inglés" como puente entre ambos idiomas, siendo que son idiomas muy inteligibles entre sí

No digo que el hecho de que exista un diccionario entre español y portugués sea malo...

Pero bueno, si usar al inglés como idioma puente entre ambos añade precisión entonces sí estoy de acuerdo.

14. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Primero, ya hay un diccionario real "español-portugués" en WordReference, así que no es necesario consultar un diccionario virtual en cuanto a esa pareja de lenguas.

Pero, el tema es más universal. Hacer un diccionario real de cada pareja de lenguas, es una tarea enorme. Pero si ya tienes un diccionario real entre el inglés y lengua A por un lado y un diccionario real entre el inglés y lengua B por otro lado, es muy buena idea de combinar las dos parejas existentes para obtener un diccionario virtual entre lengua A y lengua B y no importa que las dos lenguas sean inteligibles entre sí. El hecho de ser "inteligibles entre sí" no te permite hacer un diccionario entre esas dos lenguas.

Además, los diccionarios reales hechos por Wordreference mismo utilizan la misma base en inglés como punto de partida: es decir que si tienes una palabra A en inglés que tiene 5 sentidos diferentes, al hacer el diccionario real de cualquier lengua, se ha utilizado esos mismos 5 sentidos para traducirla a la lengua meta así que es posible combinar los dos diccionarios para obtener un tercer diccionario.