laurea di secondo livello o vecchio ordinamento

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by belfagor71, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. belfagor71 Senior Member

    Italy, Italian
    Devo fare domanda di master in UK e loro vogliono la traduzione autenticata dei miei esami universitari e il certificato di Laurea.
    A prescindere da come si traduca "Laurea in Scienze dell'Educazione" -sarebbe una laurea di secondo livello o vecchio ordinamento- , voi tentereste di tradurre il titolo in Inglese oppure lascereste l'originale in italiano e mettereste fra parentesi la spiegazione in inglese?

    Vi è mai capitato? Sapete di qualcuno che si è trovato nella mia stessa situazione?

    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  2. anglomania1

    anglomania1 Senior Member

    Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    I've read all the posts (I have a degree in languages too!), I think I'd say "I have a degree in Modern languages" - we often use this to distinguish from the classics, and it includes language and literature.
    I'd also say I have a BA in modern languages, I'd never use BSc as it's (usually) only for science subjects.
    As for the discussion about whether an Italian degree is the equivalent of a BA/BSc or an MA/MSc in English is tricky!!
    A Master's degree is a postgraduate course, if I understand correctly it also exists in Italy and you have to do a totally separate course to your undergraduate degree course. To do an MA/MSc, you have to study ONE subject for 1/2 years and do a thesis on just that subject. For me, it is not an ordinary degree so I can't see how an Italian degree could be equivalent. As for a PhD, that's the last step and takes three years of reasearch (and only then can you call yourself "Doctor").
    Hope this clarifies a few things! Complicated, isn't it?:)
  3. Hermocrates Senior Member

    Italian & British English (bilingual)
    Can somebody take a PhD straight after a BA (in Europe/UK)? Or it is necessary to take a Master's Degree prior to the doctoral degree?

  4. london calling Senior Member

    The problem is that we have completely different systems....for example, my husband's daughter has a degree from the "Bocconi" ("vecchio ordinamento" :)- è dottore in Economia e Commercio) and she's doing a PhD in the USA: however, she had to do a 2-year postgraduate Master first and she now has to do another 3 years to get her PhD. When she applied, she left everything in Italian and then explained it - in my opinion, you should do the same, as that way you don't have to worry about misunderstandings, or write "I hold a degree in Modern Languages" as anglo says and then explain exactly what you had to do to get it.:)

    Edit: Rye, I think you can in the UK, although I don't know how common that is. A cousin of mine (in recent years) had to do an MSc before getting her Phd. When I got my BA, my university asked me to stay on and do a 2-year MA course followed by a 3-year course to get a PhD.... It really is TOO complicated, anglo's right!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. anglomania1

    anglomania1 Senior Member

    Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    interestingly, your husband's daughter had an Italian degree but STILL had to do a Master's degree before doing a PhD, so I think we can safely say they are three separate degrees in whatever country you do them.
    As for whether a UK degree is the equivalent to an Italian degree etc (a VERY common argument!), I don't really believe there's really any difference. I think it's superficial to just look at the number of years you study (if someone takes three years to pass their driving test does that make them a better driver;)?).
    It's also necessary to look at the school system that precedes university: in the UK we spend 2 years specialising in 3 subjects and we often choose our degree subject on the basis of these subjects (if you want to do medicine I think you need to do biology, chemistry, for example), so we often reach some level of specialisation BEFORE we enter uni (would anybody take chemistry at uni if they didn't have chemistry 'A' level, for example?).
    Another point I'd like to add is have a look at this world ranking of universities, interesting eh?
  6. london calling Senior Member

    Belfagor, rimango della mia opinione (e credo che anglo concordi con me): scrivi il titolo di studio in italiano, poi lo traduci in inglese (degree in Modern Languages, per esempio), poi dici dove/quando l'hai conseguita e spieghi in maniera dettagliata il piano di studio ecc. ecc.

    Ripeto, così non lasci spazio a fraintendimenti!

Share This Page