Lavoro il sabato mattina.

• Naikol

Italian
    Scusa, ma se io dovessi tradurre "Lavoro la mattina" dovrei dire "I work in the morning", o no?
    Col giorno della settimana davanti morning/evening/night, si deve usare on?

"I work Saturday mornings" l'ho trovata su libri d'inglese o su dizionari (adesso non ricordo). Possibile che sia sbagliata?

Mary49

Italian
    Scusa, ma se io dovessi tradurre "Lavoro la mattina" dovrei dire "I work in the morning", o no?
    Col giorno della settimana davanti morning/evening/night, si deve usare on?

"I work Saturday mornings" l'ho trovata su libri d'inglese o su dizionari (adesso non ricordo). Possibile che sia sbagliata? Non possibile, sicuro.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Actually, "I work Saturday mornings" is perfectly idiomatic for me, the same as "I work on Saturday mornings." There may be an AE / BE difference, though, seeing that BE says things like "at the weekend" when we say "on the weekend." I don't know.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I guess this structure is specific to the verb "work". We can't say "we play tennis Saturdays". Can we?
    I was pondering this question myself, and it seems to me that while it's more usual with "work," it certainly doesn't sound wrong with other verbs. "We play tennis Saturdays" doesn't sound odd to me. There's a very slight difference in nuance without the "on"--"we play tennis on Saturdays" implies that we don't play it on other days, while "we play tennis Saturdays" implies that we play it every Saturday, without exception, and I'm explaining why I can't do something else with you next Saturday.

If you flip the construction around, it works too: "Sunday mornings I go to the market."

rrose17

Canada, English
    There's a very slight difference in nuance without the "on"--"we play tennis on Saturdays" implies that we don't play it on other days, while "we play tennis Saturdays" implies that we play it every Saturday, without exception, and I'm explaining why I can't do something else with you next Saturday.
    :thumbsup: Well explained. Also "I watch TV Thursday night(s)." "I eat out Friday evening(s)"