Law enforcement agency

Arcturus

Serbia, Serbian
Hi,

What does "law enforcement agency" exactly refer to, apart from the police? Does it also include the customs or even the judiciary?

Thank you.

• Mjolnir

Israel, Hebrew, English
    "A law enforcement agency (LEA) is any agency which enforces the law. This may be a local or state police, federal agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). It could also refer to a national police force such as the Serious Organised Crime Agency. Also, it can be used to describe an international organization such as Europol or Interpol".

Source, and a list of law enforcement agencies.

Arcturus

Serbia, Serbian
    Ok, but these are all police authorities. The reason behind my question was the fact that I often come accross the phrase "police AND law enforcement agency/jobs, etc.", so I have difficulty translating it.

sdgraham

USA English
    In the U.S., law-enfocement agencies employ many people in addition to sworn officers with powers of arrest, e.g. police.

Such law-enforcement agency jobs might include secretaries, criminalists, psychologists, filing clerks, computer programmers, etc.

I suspect that's what the original is trying to say.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The FBI is not considered a police department, but is considered a law-enforcement agency. Similarly, the Customs Service or the Immigration and Naturalization Service are not "police", but are law-enforcement agencies. In the United States, policing is considered a function of local government, and not the national government. It is also seen as a general authority, and not limited only to the enforcement of specific laws.

The fact that someone is not a sworn officer has no bearing here; a non-sworn civilian clerk employed by the New York City Police Department works for a police agency, while a sworn United States Customs agent works for a law enforcement agency.

< Previous | Next >