Law enforcement agency

< Previous | Next >

Arcturus

Serbia, Serbian
Hi,

What does "law enforcement agency" exactly refer to, apart from the police? Does it also include the customs or even the judiciary?

Thank you.

• Mjolnir

Israel, Hebrew, English
    "A law enforcement agency (LEA) is any agency which enforces the law. This may be a local or state police, federal agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). It could also refer to a national police force such as the Serious Organised Crime Agency. Also, it can be used to describe an international organization such as Europol or Interpol".

Source, and a list of law enforcement agencies.

Arcturus

Serbia, Serbian
    Ok, but these are all police authorities. The reason behind my question was the fact that I often come accross the phrase "police AND law enforcement agency/jobs, etc.", so I have difficulty translating it.

sdgraham

USA English
    In the U.S., law-enfocement agencies employ many people in addition to sworn officers with powers of arrest, e.g. police.

Such law-enforcement agency jobs might include secretaries, criminalists, psychologists, filing clerks, computer programmers, etc.

I suspect that's what the original is trying to say.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The FBI is not considered a police department, but is considered a law-enforcement agency. Similarly, the Customs Service or the Immigration and Naturalization Service are not "police", but are law-enforcement agencies. In the United States, policing is considered a function of local government, and not the national government. It is also seen as a general authority, and not limited only to the enforcement of specific laws.

The fact that someone is not a sworn officer has no bearing here; a non-sworn civilian clerk employed by the New York City Police Department works for a police agency, while a sworn United States Customs agent works for a law enforcement agency.

< Previous | Next >