law enforcement squadron

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Is the word squadron used here understandable to you native speakers? Cambridge Dictionary shows that the word is quite unique and may not be suitable here (The definition for it: a unit of one of the armed forces, especially (in Britain) the air force or the navy). Because I used the squadron to refer to a traffic police unit of 30 (persons).

The law enforcement squadron has often received complaints from citizens about traffic problems that affected their daily life.

Source: English sentence making practice by me.

• heypresto

English - England
    I would understand it, but I would think it was unusual. As the dictionary says, it is more associated with the air force or navy.

Unless it's what they call the police in the city or the country you have in mind, I would recommend not using 'squadron' here.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In AE, we often use the word "squad" for a team of policemen working together. Usually a "squad" is not as large as 30, but it could be 30.

I agree with post #2, that "squadron" sounds like an official military unit. An Air Force unit might be the "123d Airborne Reserve Squadron" and have hundreds of people in it.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Thank you. :):idea:

I would understand it, but I would think it was unusual. As the dictionary says, it is more associated with the air force or navy.

Unless it's what they call the police in the city or the country you have in mind, I would recommend not using 'squadron' here.
    I am curious about what word would you use for such situation in UK?

Andygc

British English
    How could a unit of 30 police officers be the "law enforcement squad/unit/team"? What do the other 24,970 police officers do? Perhaps you mean the "Traffic Unit"?

PS I'm surprised that the editor of a Cambridge dictionary is so ignorant of the Household Cavalry and the Royal Tank Regiment, neither of which is part of the RN or RAF. Their squadons are the equivalent of companies, not battalions.

< Previous | Next >