Lawful, Legitimate and legal

< Previous | Next >

Yichen

Chinese
Hello everyone,

To tell the three words apart, I've constructed the following sentences(they're all stand-alone):

1. When a man died, the testament or will he had made is a legal document now. However,
the document maybe lawful or unlawful, depending whether the contents are limited to his own legal rights.

2. I don't allow my son to visit his grandfather, but what I am doing is an illegitimate deed, and what's worse, I've infringed his legal rights.

3. My ex-wife has made great efforts to visit her son --- her efforts may be legitimate but aren't necessarily lawful.
(because she wasn't given the custody of him).

What about these sentences?

Many many thanks.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    1. When a man died, the testament or will he had made is a legal document now.:cross:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "is a legal document now".
    However, the document maybe lawful or unlawful, :cross:
    The document may be valid or invalid.
    depending whether the contents are limited to his own legal rights. :tick:
    ...depending on whether he had a legal right to say whatever he said in it/depending on whether his legacies were lawful.
    2. I don't allow my son to visit his grandfather, but what I am doing is an illegitimate deed,
    It's unjustified.
    I've infringed his legal rights.
    This is fine, if what you mean is that you stopped him by force, and took away his right to go wherever he wanted freely.
    3. My ex-wife has made great efforts to visit her son --- her efforts may be legitimate but aren't necessarily lawful.
    I think I'd prefer "justified" instead of "legitimate". You've used "lawful" correctly.

Lawful - In accordance with law.
    Legal - Permitted by law.

Last edited:

Yichen

Chinese
    Wow, thank you for your time.
    Thank you for providing so many wonderful alternatives.
    I think I begin to get a hang of those topic words.

< Previous | Next >