lay out surgical set 'as' brought by surgeon ...

< Previous | Next >

Meiboombouwer

French - Belgium
Hi,

Could someone tell me what's the meaning of 'as' in the following sentence:

The scrub nurse should lay out surgical set as brought by surgeon:
I guess it's not the same as
The scrub nurse should lay out surgical set brought by surgeon:
But what would be the subtle difference?

Also I don't understand why the articles are missing
The scrub nurse should lay out the surgical set as brought by the surgeon:

(context: flying surgeon (ophtalmologist) comes to operate patients with a particular condition)

Thanks

• boozer

Bulgarian
    It's just a hypothesis: surgical sets that consist of surgical instruments are, I suppose, wrapped in this fabric or nylon material (or maybe in some closed box ???) folded or rolled up. The nurse is expected to unroll or unfold those small bundles of instruments wrapped in fabric and get them ready for use by the surgeon.

The word "as" adds some meaning to the sentence - the nurse may not add to or take away any instrument from the set. She must work with what has been brought to her.

The definite article is sometimes omitted for the sake of brevity, whenever that creates no ambiguity, especially when writing rules, in newspaper headlines, etc...

Meiboombouwer

French - Belgium
    It's just a hypothesis: surgical sets that consist of surgical instruments are, I suppose, wrapped in this fabric or nylon material (or maybe in some closed box ???) folded or rolled up. The nurse is expected to unroll or unfold those small bundles of instruments wrapped in fabric and get them ready for use by the surgeon.
    Yes, you are right, that's what 'lay out' means here.
    The word "as" adds some meaning to the sentence - the nurse may not add to or take away any instrument from the set. She must work with what has been brought to her.
    The sentence (which ends up with a ':') is followed by a list of standard instruments and material that have to be add to the main surgical set.
    As for not taking away any instrument, yes the list is followed by a recommendation to the scrub nurse to take care not to loose any needles.
    But you are right. It probably simply means that (s)he has to use the 'standard set' as it is wrapped to which (s)he must add the list of material that follows and that have been sterilized separately.
    It probably implies that at the end of the surgery (s)he must take care to sort all instruments and have the set ('as' brought by surgeon ;)) ready for sterilization.
    Many thanks for your help!

The definite article is sometimes omitted for the sake of brevity, whenever that creates no ambiguity, especially when writing rules, in newspaper headlines, etc...
    Thanks for that info, also.

< Previous | Next >