lay total claim

quizzy

Italian
Hi! Here we go with "claim" again!:(

"We act together in obedience to the one true God, the triune God of holiness and love, who has laid total claim on our lives and by that claim calls us with believers in all ages and all nations to seek and defend the good of all who bear his image."

My attempt is:

Agiamo insieme in obbedienza all’unico vero Dio, il Dio trino di santità ed amore, che reclama in modo completo le nostre vite/ha pieno diritto sulle nostre vite e per questo diritto chiama noi e i credenti di tutti i tempi e di tutte le nazioni a ricercare e difendere il bene di tutti coloro che sono poratori della sua immagine

Although "reclamare" "rivendicare" are the most common translations for "lay claim", they don't seem to work here (especially since the whole text is about a loving God, and "lay claim" sounds to me like "Hey, give me back what's mine!")

Is anybody willing to help?
Thanks in advance.

• quizzy

Italian
    What about something like Dio esige la nostra obbedienza/fedeltà?
    Thanks georgiadis!

I like "esigere", but what am I supposed to do with "our lives"?

I'm afraid introducing "obbedienza/fedeltà" might be a little too creative.

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    Well, look at this sentence from an article on the website of La Famiglia Vincenziana:

In essa appare qualcosa che ha dello straordinario perché capovolge letteralmente le nostre immagini di Dio: egli, infatti, nel Figlio, si rivela non come colui che esige la nostra vita, ma come colui...

Of course this particular article contradicts the argument that God demands our lives!

quizzy

Italian
    Well, look at this sentence from an article on the website of La Famiglia Vincenziana:

In essa appare qualcosa che ha dello straordinario perché capovolge letteralmente le nostre immagini di Dio: egli, infatti, nel Figlio, si rivela non come colui che esige la nostra vita, ma come colui...

Of course this particular article contradicts the argument that God demands our lives!

The trouble is also my text does! Indeed it points out that he asks us to take care of our fellow humans, because every life is preciuos to his eyes! That's why this sentence puzzles me!:(

Curandera

Italian
    Interpretazione libera:

'Agiamo in obbedienza di un solo Dio, il Dio trino di santità e amore, colui che chiede alle nostre vite un atto di abnegazione/dedizione/fiducia totale e per tale richiesta...'

'colui che ci esorta ad affidargli completamente la nostra vita'

quizzy

Italian
    Interpretazione libera:

'Agiamo in obbedienza di un solo Dio, il Dio trino di santità e amore, colui che chiede alle nostre vite un atto di abnegazione/dedizione/fiducia totale e per tale richiesta...'

'colui che ci esorta ad affidargli completamente la nostra vita'

Mmmm.....non avrei immaginato una soluzione simile, ma non è male. Ci lavorerò.
    Grazie davvero Curandera!

You little ripper!

Australian English
    'To lay claim on something' means to say it belongs to you/to demand ownership (one of the basic beliefs of most religions is that God gave us life and therefore has the right to tell us how we should conduct it).

".............who has laid total claim on our lives and by that claim calls us................" basically means "who has asserted the right to total ownership of our lives (made it quite clear that our lives belong only to him) and because of this calls us.................." (or something to that effect)

Last edited:

Curandera

Italian
    'To lay claim on something' means to say it belongs to you/to demand ownership (one of the basic beliefs of most religions is that God gave us life and therefore has the right to tell us how we should conduct it).

".............who has laid total claim on our lives and by that claim calls us................" basically means "who has asserted the right to total ownership of our lives (made it quite clear that our lives belong only to him) and because of this calls us.................." (or something to that effect)

Thanks Charles,
    Now it's clear... at least I hope...

'... che rivendica il diritto di totale appartenenza sulle nostre vite e in nome di questo diritto...'

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Quizzy, I've just found a website (3rd last paragraph) that makes the meaning of 'laying claim on our lives' a lot clearer.

In his first book, The Call to Conversion, Jim wrote of the totality of God’s claim on our lives. He wrote: “If we believe the Bible, every part of our lives belongs to the God who created us and intends to redeem us. ......................

Although "reclamare" "rivendicare" are the most common translations for "lay claim", they don't seem to work here (especially since the whole text is about a loving God, and "lay claim" sounds to me like "Hey, give me back what's mine!")
    I don't think there's any contradiction here. The Bible does say that He is a loving God but it also says that we should do what He requires of us and be obedient. Many parents require their children to do what they say (they feel it's their right because they gave birth to them) but that doesn't mean that they're not loving parents. What that sentence is saying is that He has ownership of our lives (therefore has the right to ask us to do anything He requires) and because of this is asking us to take care of our fellow humans. :)

P.S. 'He' and 'Him' when referring to God usually requires a capital 'H'.

Last edited:

quizzy

Italian
    Thanks a lot!
    I really enjoyed this useful discussion! You are right Charles: I was implying a rather one-sided vision of God.