Lazy laugh

< Previous | Next >

kiku_hana

Vietnamese
Hi all,

what does it mean?

Here is the sentence:
"I figured you couldn't wait to leave". She laughed, a long, lazy laugh. "oh yeah, I can't."

(That summer, Sarah Dessen, p.145)

Ewie gave me a clue. However, I still find it unclear. I have no problem in understanding each word but am confused when gathering together. We have different kinds of laugh. So how a lazy laugh is?

Thanks

• Soldumapraia

American English
    I have no problem in understanding each word but am confused when gathering them together. We have different kinds of laughs. So how is a lazy laugh is?

Thanks
    This isn't a common description of a laugh (in my opinion) so to take it in context it isn't only a lazy laugh but a long, lazy laugh.I see a person lounging on a couch appearing tired or apathetic. When this person hears the question he/she doesn't react with any movement other than maybe a smirk and an aspirated, slow (long) "ha...ha...ha" kind of laugh, probably with a sense sarcasm.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    The writer is using lazy to create a mood here.

How do you laugh when you're feeling relaxed and lazy, kiku_hana?

Use your imagination, close your eyes, and feel it.

You're not going to laugh really fast with a lot of humor and energy.

It's going to come out of you slow and smooth. Maybe teasing and flirty even.

There's an endless choice of adjectives to describe laughter. This is very easy to figure out if you just think about it. :)

< Previous | Next >