Le bon côté de la chose

Mtrain17

English-USA
Qu'est-ce que cette expression veut dire? L'article que je lis est sur un écrivain qui avait autrefois du mal à écrire.

Voici toute la phrase:

Le bon côté de la chose, c'est que j'écris à toute vapeur.

___________________, is that I am writing at full speed.

• rolmich

french (France)
    "The good side of this".
    If you can allow some humour : "The good news are..." (the bad news being the past difficulties this author had in writing).

Kat LaQ

English, USA
    More common "The good news is..."
    Depending on the rest of the article, the tone, etc., this may also work " On the bright side, ..."

I am not familiar with "à toute vapeur", but "writing at full speed" is not a common phrase. Could work figuratively, though.

An idea: The words are flowing now

Mtrain17

English-USA
    Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't sure about à toute vapeur either but I didn't want to ask too many questions in one thread, haha. I appreciate the both of you helping me. By the way, do you know of any french groups where one's french could be practiced within the city Kat LaQ?

rolmich

french (France)
    "à toute vapeur" has to do with the steam engine era, so that when you were driving "à toute vapeur", you were obviously speeding. "At full speed" is a good translation since it keeps the same colloquial style as "à toute vapeur" which by the way is quite commonly used to this day (figuratively of course).
    Happy to have been of some help !

< Previous | Next >