le côté plus ou moins symbolique

PPP

English
Context is an essay discussing data that sheds light on "le côté plus ou moins symbolique" of a set of reforms articulated by one company CEO.

My inclination is to translate this as "the more or less symbolic character" instead of "the more or less symbolic dimension/aspect"

Would this be correct in this specific case?

I am aware that "character" and "dimension/aspect" mean different things.

Thanks!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Unless there's something in the wider context which is pushing you towards this unusual translation, I don't see why it wouldn't be dimension/aspect.

PPP

English
    Well, the other factor is that "more or less symbolic character" is a lot better than "more or less symbolic dimension"-- with the "more or less" being the issue.

A dimension is either symbolic or not ("more or less" sounds odd). Whereas "more or less symbolic character" is a correct modification of "symbolic character."

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I see what you're getting at, but I think that the CEO is trying to modify "symbolic". In other words there is a symbolic aspect, and one can argue about whether it is highly symbolic or only slightly symbolic. If you say "the more or less symbolic character", you are effectively saying that the symbolic aspect is the dominant one - the interpretation invited is that the reforms are symbolic in nature, rather than substantial, and I highly doubt that's what he was intending to convey.

< Previous | Next >