beri

France
I would like to write "The client commit(s?) themselves to..."
how to make this sound (/look) good.
Tenkyu :p
Beri-san

• Amityville

English UK
    Always have trouble with this one. 'Promises' sometimes works but in a contractual sense, which I assume this is, I think 'The client undertakes to ...' is best.

beri

France
    cette fois, je doute que l'on puisse contourner le problème du singulier/pluriel, à moins de mettre customers au pluriel, ce qui enlève un peu de sens, à mon sens:

Dans la mesure où le client détient sur son site une immobilisation de X (société), il s’engage à assurer le matériel.

Insofar as (customer) (have) in their premises a fixed asset of X's, ([pronom]) undertake(s) to insure the equipment.

Merci d'avance :)

note: dans tout le document il a été écrit "the customer" au singulier et il serait assez ennuyeux de le mettre au pluriel dans le reste du présent paragraphe...

Kelly B

USA English
    I do not understand the problem? There have been numerous discussions of "his" vs. "their" on the site, have a look around for various opinions and choose your preference. You certainly need not make customers plural if that is not appropriate. I'm a proponent of "his" so I'd say

Insofar as the customer has/holds a fixed/capital asset belonging to x on his premises, he undertakes to insure the equipment.

You may choose "their" if you wish; it is fairly common usage.

Editing: ah, I see, the second phrase beginning with "they" would be problematic for verb form... how about:

Insofar as the customer has/holds a fixed/capital asset belonging to x on their premises, the customer undertakes to insure the equipment.

But I still don't like "their", myself.

Kelly B

USA English
    Very sorry if I sound testy! the joys of typewritten communication, where one cannot judge or indicate tone -- I'm not testy at all, having a lovely time -- see added edit.

beri

France
    my apologies too, I understood "subject" in "You certainly need not make the subject plural if that is not appropriate." as "topic" and "plural" as "make several threads and annoy us".
    :reverence:

Kelly B

USA English
    Ooops! Subject = "customer" plural = "customers" (but don't use that)
    Edited previous post again....

scarmanus

Romania
    I agree with you, Tab226, with one ammendament: the client cannot be artificial, but it can indeed refer to a firm or company rather than a person, and in this case, yes, it should be "the client binds itself to....."
    Cheers!

charlie2

Amityville said:
    Always have trouble with this one. 'Promises' sometimes works but in a contractual sense, which I assume this is, I think 'The client undertakes to ...' is best.
    I think "undertake to ..." is the standard verb used in a British legal document for "promises to...". "Agree to ..." is another term generally used.
    For the choice of he/ they, it seems that the parties to a legal document, being natural persons or legal entities as in the case of limited companies, are usually defined at the beginning of the document and thereafter referred to as "it".

< Previous | Next >