le conteneur d’où N-1

Larissa2000

English USA
Hi again,

Il faut indiquer au système d’appliquer le regroupement état directement sous le conteneur d’où N-1.
or
Étant donné que nous avons 2 conteneurs, il faut indiquer au système d’appliquer le regroupement par type d’objet au conteneur du niveau le plus bas d’où le N-2.

This sounds weird to me. They are talking about an application that groups data into a "container" - something akin to a folder/file. And N-1 is the level of the grouping in their tree structure. N would be the reference level of the container in question. If the reference is at level 2, then N-1 is at level 1.

Why "d'où" and not simply "où" - in English, we just say "where" - not "of where."

Is this another of these quirky French grammar things? I find it totally confusing.

Thanks.

• LART01

French-France
    Hello
    For starters, the first sentence is all completely incomprehensible to me.
    The 2nd one looks better even though I can't really figure it out either.
    D'où may indicate that n-x is the logical/adequate place to store this data . In short : donc, le N-2 ( the reason why n-2 should be the one). But it's a guess!

Larissa2000

English USA
    Hello
    For starters, the first sentence is all completely incomprehensible to me.
    The 2nd one looks better even though I can't really figure it out either.
    D'où may indicate that n-x is the logical/adequate place to store this data . In short : donc, le N-2 ( the reason why n-2 should be the one). But it's a guess!
    Actually with what you and jetset said, it starts to fall into place for me.

Il faut indiquer au système d’appliquer le regroupement état directement sous le conteneur d’où N-1.

Imagine a tree structure where the topmost level is zero. Each level down the hierarchy is increased by 1. Actually in this example, they first tell you to specify a grouping on level N-2 (VISUALLY higher than N-1), and then another grouping on level N-1. the N-1 grouping is based on the état of the objects.

Hence is a good choice of translation.

The problem with their way to talk about this is that, visually, the N-1 level is higher than N in the tree structure. On the other hand, there is no logical way to ascribe numbers to tree levels unless you start with the zero up on top.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I think you and jetset have done a good job of interpreting this one!

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >