le loup se faire sentir

< Previous | Next >

Cauldhame

England, English
Hi guys,

I'm working on a translation of a diary from the second world war, and the author is talking about things getting tough when she moves to an expensive flat and has no money. At the end, she writes "et je peux demander à Vendigès des secours universitaires si le loup de fait trop sentir."

Now first off, I thought that the "de" here should be "se", and that's just an error in the transcript (it's only a word-typed document). Secondly, I tried to find evidence of that being a common expression for things getting tough, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Can anyone shed a bit of light on it?

• Oddmania

French
    Hi,

What's the complete sentence? What Vendigès is isn't clear either.

Maybe she was talking about the German army ("the big bad wolf"?).

Cauldhame

England, English
    It's a bit of a long-winded sentence, but the entire thing is here:

D’ailleurs ne vous effrayez pas de trop (si je vous écrivais une vraie lettre je ne vous mettrai jamais cela) un peu de faim et de froid ne me feront pas trop de mal – on aura faim ou froid même avec de l’argent en hiver, - et que Dieu protège les pauvres gens – et je peux demander à Vendigès des secours universitaires si le loup de fait trop sentir.

Vendigès is a guy who works at the Sorbonne, where she's studying, and who she gets on quite well with, which is why she might be asking him for money. The whole preceding passage is about her money worries, which is why I thought the "secours universitaires" would be financial aid as opposed to any other aid you might receive during war time.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Oddmania, as a Fr speaker, could you say if there is a FR espression with the word "loup" meaning "to keep the wolf from the door" (given in Robert & Collins as "cela me mettra au moins à l'abri du besoin")? ["Who's afraid of Vendigès' wolf?" :D ]

Mauricet

French - France
    Le loup se fait sentir n'est pas une expression que je connaisse. Mais on parle d'une faim de loup, ça signifie donc probablement qu'on a faim, et froid aussi peut-être. Elle aurait pu écrire, moins poétiquement, si la faim se fait trop pressante.

Bouklette

Français
    Le loup représente le danger ici, la situation difficile. Cela peut donc être traduit par "if the time gets tough", "if I really need it"...

< Previous | Next >