le papy boum s'annonce

hz76

USA
China, Chinese
Salut,

Je ne comprend pas très bien de "le papy boum s'annonce" dans cette phrase "Le papy boum s'announce et la durée de vie s'allonge, il y a donc plus de retraités et pour plus longtemps". Pourriez-vous m'expliquer? Merci bien!

• klodaway

It is worth noticing that, even in French, it is written "baby-boom" and "papy-boom".

"boum" is the onomatopeia, the French equivalent to.... boom!

klod-

hz76

USA
    China, Chinese
    It is worth noticing that, even in French, it is written "baby-boom" and "papy-boom".

"boum" is the onomatopeia, the French equivalent to.... boom!

klod-
    The original text can be found on the BBC French language site in an article titled "La pension: toujours en question". And it spells "papy boum". (I am not allowed to post links yet :p)

So is it a typo?

klodaway

I did not notice, Welcome to WR!

Probably not a typo, I guess it just means that both can be used... But I confirm that the spelling "papy-boom" is most common.

klod-

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    une boum also means une fête (in the sense of party), and was a popular term back in the 60s-70s when the baby boomers were partying hard. So maybe that's the second play on words...but then it would be la papy-boum

bh7

Canada; English
    "Granny boom" might be possible in English and would actually describe the phenomenon better, since most of the longer living individuals are female.
    We face [are confronted with] a near-term granny boom because the [ever] increasing life expectancy produces [leads to] a greater number [greater numbers] of retired persons who live longer.

Sychal

French
    Maybe something like this : The "Papy-boom" is coming up, and life expectancy is increasing, so(therefore) there is more retired people for longer...

But it doesn't sound very nice to me and I don't think it is as formal as "s'annonce"...
    So there is probably a better solution...

Cath.S.

français de France
    Is looming?

Btw I don't think we can keep "Papy-boom" in English.
    Bh7's solution sounds good to me
    "Granny boom" might be possible in English and would actually describe the phenomenon better, since most of the longer living individuals are female.

< Previous | Next >