Le poivre d'âne

MrDiggs

In restaurants in Aix-en-Provence in France, I am seeing this dish (also there is one restaurant that is named "Le Poivre d'Âne"). The only translation I have seen on a menu (carte) is "pepper ass" which may be literally accurate, but cannot be the right translation. Does anyone know a better translation into English? Merci beaucoup.

• Lacuzon

French - France
    Bonjour,

As far as I know, it refers to a cheese named Poivre d'âne because there are some brands of that herb around that cheese. In fact it is sariette vivace (Satureja montana). So perhaps savory cheese?

MrDiggs

Oh, in that case, perhaps the best translation would be "pepper jack"? That is what we call a spicy type of cheese (Jack cheese with peppercorns or chile peppers). But, I am sure the French version is even better. Merci pour la response rapide.

Tidoudoux

French - France
    Alors s'il s'agit du fromage son nom vient du fait qu'il est enrobé dans l'herbe appelée pebre d'aï en provence. L'autre nom de cette herbe est la sarriette d'après wikipedia le nom anglais de cette herbe serait savory.

Mais s'il s'agit du fromage je ne suis pas sur que ça doive être traduit.

Edit : j'ai été trop lent.

MrDiggs

Yes, perhaps you are right, it is best not to translate this name, as it is surely not the same as the US pepper jack cheese. But "pepper ass" certainly sounds very strange (even offensive) in English, and "savory cheese" is better -- but no translation would be the best. Thanks again.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    This Provençal cheese features neither pepper nor donkey milk! The French term is a literal translation of the Provençal name for the type of herb used to make it.

I would suggest herb-encrusted cheese to give the English-speaker an idea of the actual type of food proposed.

PS: Pepper jack cheese is quite different--it is a semi-hard curd cheese with bits of hot red pepper inside it; poivre d'âne is a soft cheese and has herbs on its outside.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >