le ressenti de son âme

< Previous | Next >

PetiteK

English--United States
Hello--Could anyone give me advice about my translation of the following sentence, in particular the final "le ressenti de son ame."

Here is the French, describing how an artist works:

Traquant la moindre commissure de lèvres elle interprète le trait a sa façon et réalise le personnage né de la rencontre entre l'oeil répertoriant l'attitude, les mains modelant le visage et le corps, le ressenti de son âme transféré dans le geste.

Here is my translation:
... and the essence of her soul conveyed by the gesture.

Thank you very much.

• Canard

English, USA
    This is hard to get a handle on, and even harder to translate... I think you might have a slightly askew interpretation of the text, but I'm not sure mine is clearer or more confusing...
    Be careful of the difference between "born" and "borne" which I don't think most speakers know (I had to double-check) since they sound the same.

I'm curious to see what others come up with :)

... gesture as conduit for the experience of her soul.

PetiteK

English--United States
    Thank you--especially for "conduit. That is a great word to use.

The description refers to an artist sculpting a figure from a photo--a character is coming to life thanks to the artist's combined use of her eye (which perceives the physical aspects) her hands (which sculpture) and her soul's perception of the soul of the figure she is sculpting...maybe this will clarify the overall sense.

< Previous | Next >