Le train-train quotidien

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by vegangirl, Feb 28, 2008.

1. vegangirl Banned

France french
    J'ai traduit cette phrase en anglais. Pouvez- vous corriger les fautes s'il vous plaît ?

phrase : Le train-train quotidien.
    traduction : the boring everyday life

"le train- train quotidien" est une expression. Cela n'a rien à voir avec les trains. Alfie a une vie pas excitante. Il s'ennui. Il a une vie ennuyante. Il ne fait rien de spécial. Il travaille et c'est tout. Il rentre du travail, il mange, il prend sa douche et il va se coucher. C'est son quotidien. C'est la routine.

2. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    "My life is just 'a rat race'" matches your French explanation.

3. Aquarelle Member

USA
    French - English
    The boring everyday routine

4. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    It is common to speak of: the daily grind

5. myrrh Senior Member

Beirut
    French/Arabic
    Or "the daily routine"...

6. dewsy Senior Member

Versailles
    England, english
    The humdrum daily routine.

7. sanghasri Member

England, English
    I am not sure that 'le train-train quotidien' always connotes a sense of boredom. I like the suggestion of humdrum - it suggests the day to day usual routine which can be either boring or quite pleasant.

Another translation could be 'the usual daily routine'

8. vegangirl Banned

France french
    Merci de m'avoir aidée.

9. kiwi-di

kiwi-di Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    New Zealand, English
    I totally agree with both of these sentiments. I am surprised that the WR dictionary states the expression is derogatory. It's one used by many of my friends, and it's never seemed derogatory to me.

10. miku979 Member

England
    French - France
    I second (and third) the expressions "daily grind" and "daily routine". The term "routine" refers to a set of actions, tasks, etc that are typically done everyday. The word "daily" helps reinforce the fact that it's extremely boring. The "daily grind" has a stronger meaning, insofar as "grind", in slang, denotes something that annoys or irritates you. Just my twopence ;-)

11. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)

:tick:

12. kiwi-di

kiwi-di Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    New Zealand, English
    This is a thread from January last year which I just stumbled across - I looked it up because I was writing to a friend, and couldn't remember if train-train was hyphenated or not. :)

Do native French speakers feel this is a derogatory expression?

Certainly daily grind or humdrum don't strike me as being derogatory in English.

I should add that I don't agree with the "rat-race" suggestion given above.

13. not_using_my_real_name Senior Member

Paris
    French - France
    "Le train-train quotidien" generally is not derogatory , just plain neutral.
    "Le train-train quotidien" can, rarely, be derogatory if stressed by the speaker's tone of voice, body language, or context

I don't agree at all with the "rat-race" suggestion either

So, kiwi-di, "daily grind" is not derogatory, then? I thought it was, due to the unpleasant "grind" factor... but I don't know anymore now

Anyway , a derogatory French wording for the "boring daily grind" would be
    (written, spoken): "l'éternelle routine"
    or (spoken) just "la routine" if said with a plaintive French-style-aggravation sigh in the voice (don't ask)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  14. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Perhaps myrrh´s suggestion of the daily routine then. :)

15. sptankard Member

Paris
    English (Southern California)
    Just a note, in my opinion "the daily grind" most certainly has a negative connotation.

16. Meille Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    English
    There's also SSDD.

Same shit different day.

17. aylana Senior Member

french
    une précision : la connotation négative ou non du train-train quotidien en français dépend totalement du contexte et de l'intonation.
    ça peut être quelqu'un qui en a assez de cette vie ennuyeuse ou quelqu'un qui se satisfait de se vie sans problème.
    au téléphone par exemple cela dépendra totalement de la voix.

18. LART01

LART01 Senior Member

La Haye Pays-Bas
    French-France
    Hello
    I like same old same old for train train quotidien

19. doodlebugger Senior Member

France
    Train-train quotidien is not derogatory, but it is generally not something one looks forward to.
    The opposite expression ça sort du train-train quotidien is also neither good or bad but is at least interesting.

20. Dominic Lucey Senior Member

Hi, there i was just wondering if you could translate sortir du train-train quotidien meaning to be on the move. thats probably wrong but its just a guess

21. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I'd say no, not really. For a lorry-driver or a commercial traveller, being on the move is le train-train quotidien!

22. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    to get out of the (daily) routine (I suggest) - there's also the expression in English for le train-train quotidien - the nine to five routine (which used to be standard office hours)