leach off - put it to you guys

marcolo

France, french
Hi all.
Still struggling with some dialogs, I guess that it is slang, because I don't find the definition in online dictionary. Okay here is the dialog :

- I have a house.
- It's your mom's house.
- No, but I--but I live in it, ok? And somebody pays the bills,
somebody cooks the food, and somebody does the laundry.
So I put it to you guys, the table.
The great life, or the greatest life?
- You are leaching off your mom,and you are actually defending it.

I would be grateful is someone can explain what the guy means when he says "I put it to you guys", and a girl is replying "you are leaching off your mom", which lets me puzzled.

• JamesM

"I put it to you" is a way of introducing a question or a proposal requiring a decision. The two choices he offers are "the great life" or "the greatest life", which is not much of a choice.

It's "leeching", by the way, not "leaching." A leech is a bloodsucking parasite that feeds off its host. You can see how the expression originated. :) "Leaching" is a process of extraction, most commonly when liquids pass through solids. A drip coffeemaker essentially leaches the coffee flavor out of the coffee grounds using hot water.

Binario

USA
    Russia, Russian
    "To leech off somebody" means to take advantage of him, to use his money/resourses without giving back. To act like a parasite, "leech".

snorklebum

Mexico English
    "put it to you" can have two different meanings. One would mean to put a question or issue to somebody for their decision or opinion. "I put it to you that we should boycott the store" "I have no idea what we should do, so I put it to you gentlemen"

Another would be a variation of "stuck it to him". Meaning to "screw" somebody, to force something unpleasant on them. "He really put it to Tom, making him work weekends all month,"

< Previous | Next >