lead a cultural trend/take the lead in cultural trends

Angelya

Chinese
Hi, there! Is it acceptable to say"lead a cultural trend" or "take the lead in cultural trends"? Your replies will be highly appreciated.

• Angelya

Chinese
    Sorry I just made them by myself. I want to express the meaning of "to form a cultural trend and others just follow it". So can I use the two expressions or not? Or do you have any better recommendations?

owlman5

English-US
    I think the phrase is possible, Angelya, but I doubt that anybody really "takes the lead in cultural trends" for any significant amount of time. Cultural trends tend to arise by themselves as large numbers of people enthusiastically adopt something that they have seen somebody else use. Even if people are copying what you say or wear, they probably won't be copying it for long before they find something else to copy.

suzi br

English / England
    It’s just a bit vague. What sort of cultural trend? Who do you think leads them?
    There are certainly “things” that grow in popularity, but I don’t really think you’re giving us enough context, even if you wrote it yourself. What are you thinking of? Who are you addressing?

Angelya

Chinese
    I just want to translate a Chinese sentence. It's that Beijing, the capital of China, once took the lead in cultural trends. Obviously, it's not easy to do that, for English natives may won't think it make sense.

owlman5

English-US
    Then you can use either phrase to translate the idea. Both phrases in your first post are understandable, and they sound normal to me. As Suzi said, both phrases are a little vague. Perhaps the text you are translating will go on to explain exactly what the author means.

suzi br

English / England
    Well it does make much more sense now!

People might say the same thing about London or Paris. It’s easier for the people in a big city to lead new trends.
    Either of your original sentences could work.
    Write out the complete sentence so we can see what you want to do.

< Previous | Next >