lead the charge

< Previous | Next >

aj+fj

Czech, Czech Republic
Hello everybody,

could somebody explain me the meaning of the expression "lead the charge" in the following headline?

Czechs lead the charge to British universities

Thank you so much!

• germajesty

English - United States
    Hello!

In this case, it would mean that the Czechs are the most numerous among new British university students.

To "lead the charge" means to be the first or be the majority.

Hope that helps!

Katie

Tabac

U. S. - English
    Hello everybody,

could somebody explain me the meaning of the expression "lead the charge" in the following headline?

Czechs lead the charge to British universities

Thank you so much!
    "Lead the charge" is a military concept: one person leads the rest of the soldiers into the particular battle. My assumption here is that of all the foreign students at British schools, the Czechs are the greatest in number. The "headline" seems unusual to me.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    I found the article here. As Tabac says, it is a military term/concept. From the article it is clear that many Eastern Europeans go to the UK to study and the Czechs are the most numerous.

aj+fj

Czech, Czech Republic
    Hello everybody, thank you very much for all your replies, you have helped me a lot! As I am going to analyze an article with this headline (from The Times) for one of my linguistic courses at university, I really wanted to be sure. Thank you!

< Previous | Next >