lead us not into temptation=don't lead us into temptation?

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
Here is the line from the TV series , The Bible:
"God, give us this day(I think it should be put after "bread". Am I right?) our daily bread, and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation."

Why didn't they say "don't lead us into temptation"?

Thank you in advance.

• Andygc

British English
    The words are in the right order.

Because it is based on text written in about 1610 - The Bible - King James Version - Matthew 6:9-13

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
    10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
    11 Give us this day our daily bread.
    12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
    13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

George French

English - UK
    Hi
    "God, give us this day(I think it should be put after "bread". Am I right?) our daily bread, and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those
    who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation."

Thank you in advance.
    It's only a translation into English after all. The translators many centuries back chose this structure. This text is quite old and has been in the Bible for many years. The Bible also gets revised, so that the changes in the language are reflected in the newer version of The Book. But they mean the same.. um...

GF..

Note that is a very simple explanation as to how language drifts and mutates over the years.

Which version of the Bible were they using? Note:- I don't follow the revisions.. and the uses of do & not are important...

It now sounds very formal and literary and many Christians like their prayers to sound that way. "Don't let us be tempted" is common English.

Hi
    "God, give us this day(I think it should be put after "bread". Am I right?) our daily bread, and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation."

Thank you in advance.

Andygc

British English
    On reflection, it's based on the version of the Lord's Prayer in the Book of Common Prayer, which is even older.

Book of Common Prayer 1549

first edition 1526 Tynsdale Bible.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/tyn/matthew/passage.aspx?q=matthew+5;6;7

8 Be ye not lyke them therfore. For youre father knoweth wherof ye haue neade before ye axe of him. 9 After thys maner therfore praye ye. O oure father which arte in heve halowed be thy name. 10 Let thy kyngdome come. Thy wyll be fulfilled as well in erth as it ys in heven. 11 Geve vs this daye oure dayly breede. 12 And forgeve vs oure treaspases eve as we forgeve oure trespacers. 13 And leade vs not into teptacion: but delyver vs fro evell. For thyne is ye kyngedome and ye power and ye glorye for ever. Amen.

< Previous | Next >