leading Europeans

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What is your impression of "leading Europeans" at first glance?

As I read it, "leaders in the Europe?" or "leading figures in science in the Europe?" flash in my mind. The context tells me it is the latter the case.

Views from a continent in flux
Nature asked nine leading Europeans to pick their top priority for science at this pivotal point. Love, money, and trust got most votes.

Source: 21 MAY 2019
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01569-w

• Chez

English English
    'leaders in the Europe' is not correct English. 'Leaders in Europe' would suggest Presidents, Prime Ministers etc (those who lead countries).

'leading figures in science in Europe' is fine, if this is actually true. We don't know if it is from the context. I know 'Nature' is a science journal, but they don't specify that they asked scientists. They could be politicians, academics from other subjects, pop stars etc (I know pop stars is unlikely, but 'leading' just means famous or important or influential).

The sentence is fine as it is.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The credentials of the nine (leaders in science) are presented in the article. Three are below:
    European Commissioner, Research, Science and Innovation.
    Secreta
    ry-general of Science Europe, Brussels, Belgium.
    Founding member and former president of the ERC, and professor emerita of science and technology studies, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think it's oddly vague. Since it's not in a headline (no space limitation) it could have been more explicit.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think it's oddly vague. Since it's not in a headline (no space limitation) it could have been more explicit.
    It is only a few lines above a clarification of what it means, with the titles of the respondents presented. With no other context, vague would be a perfect description of the headline :)

< Previous | Next >