leading to within one play of a Super Bowl title

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"Colin Kaepernick is going to have his day in arbitration. The NFL quarterback is still out of a job. This is despite a resume that includes leading the San Francisco 49ers to within one play of a Super Bowl title. But he was also the first player to kneel during the national anthem to protest police brutality and systemic racism. "

What does "leading them to within one play of a Super Bowel title" mean?
I assume the first part means that he led the team and took them close enough to Super Bowel, I can't make of "one play of a Super Bowel title."

source: First NFL Player To Kneel During The National Anthem Is Heading To Arbitration

• lingobingo

English - England
    You need to read it as “within one play of”, meaning “only one play away from”. That is, they very nearly won the title. (I”m assuming play means game?)

But I suggest you avoid misspelling bowl as bowel, which is something quite different! :D <Moderator note: I have edited the title. Nat>

Last edited by a moderator:

nagomi

Korean
    You need to read it as “within one play of”, meaning “only one play away from”. That is, they very nearly won the title. (I”m assuming play means game?)

But I suggest you avoid misspelling bowl as bowel, which is something quite different! :D
    Thank you, and I just noticed that. Yes, it' true.

< Previous | Next >