leaflet and pamphlet

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Is "leaflet" used in the US? Or do you use just "pamphlet" or "brochure"? And is "pamphlet" used in the UK? I find only "leaflet" in my BrE reading.

Thanks!

• hfp

USA
    English - US
    The words leaflet, pamphlet, and brochure are all used in the United States. I am not sure about the United Kingdom, though.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    Yes - all are familiar in the UK. Walk into any distributor of any product that comes in different models and sizes and ask for a brochure: cars, TVs, washing machines, amplifiers........

Cruise lines send out brochures outlining the range of cruises offered for the coming year.

A leaflet would usually be a single piece of paper, and often handed out in the street, advertising some special deal. e.g. 2 pizzas for the price of 1; 10% off today only at some shop or store.

Pamphlets, for example, are displayed in racks in a medical centre. They are either a folded sheet, or two folded sheets stapled together, giving specific information about conditions, or warning signs of conditions. That is, pamphets provide information about a specific subject.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I agree that a "leaflet" usually refers to a single sheet, whether printed on one or both sides. But a "pamphlet" doesn't have to be limited to two sheets, even if folded to make a total of eight pages. A pamphlet doesn't have a hard cover, and at some point it becomes a paperback book, but I don't think there's a hard line between pamphlet and paperback book.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    OK. It could be 3 or 4 sheets. But no more than a small booklet (which is what I would prefer to call it if over 4 sheets.

But so close to a paperback it's hard to judge the difference?
    Where, then, does booklet fit between the two?

Myridon

English - US
    I'm with you, MilkyBarKid. A giant pamphlet would turn into a small magazine. Larger magazines and paperback books are usually perfect-bound (with the glued, flat back instead of folded or stapled).

susanna76

Romanian
    So a leaflet can also be a flyer then? I thought a leaflet was only a sheet folded in half or thirds, and a flyer the third of a regular sheet.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't think these terms have rigid definitions :)
    Here is a selection from the OED and the WR dictionary.

leaflet
    A small-sized leaf of paper or a sheet folded into two or more leaves but not stitched, and containing printed matter, chiefly for gratuitous distribution.

pamphlet
    A short printed work of several pages fastened together without a hard cover; a booklet; a leaflet.

brochure
    A short printed work, of a few leaves merely stitched together; a pamphlet. Also, spec. a small pamphlet or booklet describing the amenities of a place, etc.

flyer
    U.S. A small handbill or fly-sheet; spec. one issued by the police.
    a small handbill advertising an event or product.

< Previous | Next >