leaky/holey sock

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Andrew1980, May 2, 2012.

1. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

Hi,

I wonder how to say correctly in everyday situations that my sock has hole in it. May I say:

"Mom, my sock is holey and my toes are peeking out of it. Could you darn it?"

Thank you.

2. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    You say: My sock has a hole in it :) Can you mend it for me?

(PS. Although I know the word "darn", I'll be darned if I ever heard it. It is usually "mend").

3. Andrew1980

Andrew1980 Senior Member

OK, thank you

4. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    You tell me your sock is /'həʊli/ and I will think you darn :) crazy beginning to deify your socks. :) I agree with the walrus - I would not say my sock was holy/holey :) I would use his version.

5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    We don't generally use "holey" for something full of holes even though it is understandable. It sounds like holy (blessed or sacred) so "holey priest's robe" might be quite confusing.
    Darning (a euphemism for "damning") your holy sock might send it to heck (hell). ;)

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I wouldn't have a problem with "my sock is holey", which would, to me, mean "my sock has lots of holes [not just one]". I'd probably expect an intensifier in the sentence, though: Mum! My sock's really holey! Help!

"My sock's leaky" wouldn't work, because I don't expect my socks to be watertight;).

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    In BE, holey is not that uncommon and may be used quite freely for clothes, containers, etc. Holey socks are particularly common, as are holey jumpers.

Holey is used informally and is unlikely to be mistaken, in context, for holy.

(Except in the case of the Holey Bucket of Ephesus, which I have just invented
    ;) :D)

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just wanted to add - child that I am of the throw-away second half of the twentieth century, I throw holey socks away rather than take a needle and cotton to them. But if I did take a needle and cotton to them, I'd be darning them rather than mending them;).

I have been known to darn things, occasionally. Though not socks....

9. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    Actually in the era when the Beatles were singing that song, most of the girls I knew, including myself, used to darn our stockings with needle and thread. If we just mended them, it would mean we dabbed some nail varnish on the run to stop it progressing. :)

10. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Oh gosh, Lis, I remember doing that nail-varnish thing! (But I wouldn't actually have called it mending - not sure what I'd have called it, other than "sticking nail varnish on it"....). In the Beatles song, I'm sure "mending" was chosen because it rhymed with "never ending":).

11. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The Beatles knew socks were darned: Eleanor Rigby,

12. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    That does not mean you did it while running, does it? :D

Well, I must admit I overplayed a bit the possible misunderstanding between holy and holey with reference to socks - I mean, of course the meaning is quite clear within context. Despite that, it would take me approximately 0.012654 secs to grasp it.

(I know fishermen darn their fishing nets. The same would potentially be qualified to darn stockings like these: http://www.google.bg/imgres?q=net+s...dsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:24,i:155&tx=89&ty=79)

PS. It saddens me to hear socks in the UK are no longer made watertight, Loob. :D

Last edited: May 2, 2012