lean and hungry

hichemm

UAE
Tunisia, Arabic
Bonjour,

J'ai passe un test de personnalite en anglais (le genre de test que les services de recrutement pratiquent pour la selection des candidats) ...et dans les explications donnees dans l'une des section (avant de lire les questions) on trouve ceci ' The results of this section will provide a useful indication of how lean and hungry you appear to be' Est-ce que quelqu'un peut m'aider a dechiffrer ce qu'ils veulent dire par lean and hungry ? Merci

• stumerr

US
    US English
    Définitivement signifie votre niveau de motivation (avec hungry), et possiblement niveau d'aptitude (avec lean), mais "lean" peut s'appliquer à la question de votre motivation aussi.

xiancee

French
    C'est une citation du Jules César de Shakespeare :

Caesar:
    Let me have men about me that are fat,
    Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
    He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.

Apparemment ils recrutent des gens qui en veulent, des loups, des tueurs!!!

stumerr

US
    US English
    Je n'allais rien dire, mais j'avais exactement la même impression d’augure sinistre. Cependent, je me demande quel genre du vrai test de personnalité vous révèle le vrai but des questions en avance, à moins que ça fasse partie du test aussi. Surtout avec language tant suggestif et grossier que “...how lean and hungry you appear to be."

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Salut hichemm,

Just to add that in AE, to have a lean and hungry look is often considered a positive trait for someone seeking a job or to advance in the job market.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    I think the concepts of "lean" and "fat" have changed a bit since Shakespeare's times :)
    In the business language (AE) I hear these all the time and both have positive meaning:
    lean means without much overhead, nimble, motivated, eager (as opposed to fat who is content with the status quo, hard to motivate)
    hungry means motivated, willing to go an extra mile, not spoiled by alternatives (as opposed to satiated who is happy to keep things as they are, not motivated to develop and learn).

stumerr

US
    US English
    But what kind of personality test tells you what kind of answers they want to their questions? And uses "lean and hungry" instead of "motivated?" You must admit it's strange and seems irregular, given our [albeit limited] understanding of the context.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    But what kind of personality test tells you what kind of answers they want to their questions? And uses "lean and hungry" instead of "motivated?" You must admit it's strange and seems irregular, given our [albeit limited] understanding of the context.
    I'm not sure if the question is addressed to me, but as I understand, the OP took the test in Algeria at a local recruiting agency, so a very simple answer could be: bad translation.

I think in any case, both lean and hungry are too colloquial to include in an official document such as a test. This doesn't change the fact that their meaning is "motivated/eager/willing".

stumerr

US
    US English
    but as I understand, the OP took the test in Algeria at a local recruiting agency, so a very simple answer could be: bad translation.
    Bonjour,
    J'ai passe un test de personnalite en anglais Merci
    Hi preciosa,
    Thank you sincerely for the dialogue. I may very well be reading too much into it, and with such usage the test seems to have originated in English and doesn't seem, on its face, designed for non-native English speakers, unless it is sophisticated to a degree that I'm incapable of speculating on.

Last edited:

stumerr

US
    US English
    But, as they say, and, as I said originally, the most basic explanation is that "lean and hungry" simply means, "motivated." Language can be slippery, however.

xiancee

French
    I am well aware that concepts may have changed since 'The Bard" but nevertheless those two words put together in the same expression "lean and hungry" call back those lines from J Caesar and evoke a certain state of mind which in my opinion has not changed much, from Ceasar to Shakespeare and From Shakespeare to us.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    I am well aware that concepts may have changed since 'The Bard" but nevertheless those two words put together in the same expression "lean and hungry" call back those lines from J Caesar and evoke a certain state of mind which in my opinion has not changed much, from Ceasar to Shakespeare and From Shakespeare to us.
    Well, seems like the modern recruiters, unlike Shakespearean Ceasar, would rather choose the lean and hungry than the fat and sleek-headed... Hard to blame them :)

xiancee

French
    Caesar's motive was different. He realised that "lean and hungry " were the dangerous type and history proved him right!

And it can be dangerous indeed, proof here : Maneater by Hall & Oates

She`ll only come out at night, the lean and hungry type
    Nothing is new I`ve seen her here before…Watching and waiting
    Ooh, she`s sitting with you but her eyes are on the door
    So many have paid to see what you think you`re getting for free
    The woman is wild, a she-cat tamed by the purr of a jaguar
    Money`s the matter, if you`re in it for love, you ain`t gonna get too far

Last edited:

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    See? She's all about business. Lean and hungry - who wouldn't want a worked like her. Focused, motivated, not distracted by touchy-feely things. Money's the matter. And what excellent customer service: you have to pay, but you feel like you are getting things for free! CEO track, no less.:D

(I have to stop there - there's so much room for banter, the mods would not be happy with me...)

< Previous | Next >