lean in/move into

kaven-ever

Chinese
Hi!
My question is about in/into, if not considering two words' characteristic(preposition or adverb), their basic impression to me is "from outside to inside"(if referring to a direction).
But from an episode of Friends, They're used in a different way.
1: lean in
In a restaurant Joey is showing to Rachel how he flirts with women on a date, and Rachel nearly can't resist the temptation and she said "I almost leaned in". Learning from other posts, I get that it means "lean forward", and a poster says he would easily tell what it means.
2: move into
In this same episode, after they have returned, they begin talking about how they act at the end occasion of a date, and Rachel says "press her lips against his, and move into his body".

So the basic rule doesn't fit here, and I feel they all has the meaning "to move toward a direction until touching someone" and a sexual implication, I checked the WordReference, there's no reasonable explanation, so I think it is more of a feeling, however, I'm not sure about this.
Can you tell me if you use in/into instead of toward, forward and to, how do feel about it, and more examples would be of a great help.

Thanks for any help.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Rough guide: where do the feet go?

If the feet stand still and the upper body gets closer, that's leaning in. If the feet move too, that's moving in.

(For a seated person, substitute buttocks for feet.)

< Previous | Next >