lean [political meaning]

< Previous | Next >

dhejejjeskms

Korean
Hello, everyone.

I read an article about the U.S. midterm election. In the article, there was a picture which explains about the number of seats the Republicans or the Democrats are expected to achieve. There were three sorts of seats. The name of the each sort was "Solid", "Likely/lean" and "Toss-up". I understand "Likely/lean" as indicating the possiblity between "Solid" and "Toss-up". Would you let me know what "lean" means, please?
Thank you.

• dojibear

English - US
    The verb "lean" means to tilt, instead of standing up straight. Often we say (metaphorically) that a person "leans toward" one side or the other (in this case, Republican or Democrat).

An older saying is "incline": "I am inclined to agree with you". It also means tilt, and is used metaphorically.

dhejejjeskms

Korean
    The verb "lean" means to tilt, instead of standing up straight. Often we say (metaphorically) that a person "leans toward" one side or the other (in this case, Republican or Democrat).

An older saying is "incline": "I am inclined to agree with you". It also means tilt, and is used metaphorically.
    Thank you.:)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Likely and lean should really be separate categories. Likely is stronger than lean. Likely means the experts think the odds of that person getting elected are high (but not certain/solid). Lean means the person has an advantage over the other person but not a big advantage. They have a little bit better chance of winning but it's not anywhere close to certain. Toss-up means they are equal.

Solid / Likely / Lean / Toss-up

dhejejjeskms

Korean
    Hello, everyone.

I read an article about the U.S. midterm election. In the article, there was a picture which explains about the number of seats the Republicans or the Democrats are expected to achieve. There were three sorts of seats. The name of the each sort was "Solid", "Likely/lean" and "Toss-up". I understand "Likely/lean" as indicating the possiblity between "Solid" and "Toss-up". Would you let me know what "lean" means, please?

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >