leap onto the lily pad

humvee

Cantonese and Mandarin
Hi folks

Thus we have the overuse of Kubernetes to solve all security issues, all infrastructure issues, and even be a complete strategy for technology companies looking for the next lily pad to leap onto. It’s all Kubernetes, all the time.

Source: How Kubernetes can reduce cloud complexity

I know what lily pad is and looks like. But the literal meaning does not make sense in this context. How to paraphrase it in a way that even non-native speakers can understand. Thanks in advance.

• Myridon

English - US
    The metaphor is compares the companies to frogs who leap from one lily pad to another. Is that something that makes sense to you or is there a culture gap that needs more explanation?

humvee

Cantonese and Mandarin
    The metaphor is compares the companies to frogs who leap from one lily pad to another. Is that something that makes sense to you or is there a culture gap that needs more explanation?
    Well, yes, a frog comes to mind when I visualize a lily pad, but that doesn't help with my translation task. Allow me to labor my point with another example, In Chinese we have a technical equivalent for "denominator", but we will use "common trait" instead of the technical equivalent to translate it. By the same token, it sounds weird to translate it literally, why would a company leap from one lily pad to another?

pops91710

English, AE
    Well, yes, a frog comes to mind when I visualize a lily pad, but that doesn't help with my translation task. Allow me to labor my point with another example, In Chinese we have a technical equivalent for "denominator", but we will use "common trait" instead of the technical equivalent to translate it. By the same token, it sounds weird to translate it literally, why would a company leap from one lily pad to another?
    It is not literal, of course. Maybe this link will help you to understand how this reference to hopping from lilypads is used in English.
    Leaving Your Lily Pad: Know When It's Time To Hop

< Previous | Next >