Leaping into the abyss of life outside...

kazuhiko fudaba

Japanese
In the article of Washington Post : Trump's win may be just the beginning of a global populist wave
there is a sentence 'And in Briton, votors with a centuries-long streak of moderation and pragmatism opted
to ignore the overwhelming advice of experts by leaping into the abyss of life outside the European Union.'

Question) What does the bold part 'leaping into the abyss of life' mean?

Thank you
Kazu

• Packard

USA, English
    An abyss is a bottomless chasm. So they are leaping into the great bottomless chasm that is represented by life outside the European Union.

The phrase "life outside the European Union" should be thought of as an single idea.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is not 'leaping into the abyss of life' it is leaping into {the abyss of {life outside the European Union}.}

Crossposted

suzi br

English / England
    In the article of Washington Post : Trump's win may be just the beginning of a global populist wave
    there is a sentence 'And in Briton, votors with a centuries-long streak of moderation and pragmatism opted
    to ignore the overwhelming advice of experts by leaping into the abyss of life outside the European Union.'

Thank you
    Kazu
    I'm not normally pedantic about spelling, but in Briton here totally confused me. I was thinking it was a place in the USA until I got to the last word in the sentence.
    Not Briton but Britain. The reference here is to Britain.

Thomas Tompion

English - England

Thank you
    Kazu
    The point is that the European Union has given Britain an important framework for certain aspects of life and of trade since the early 1970s.

Leaving the Union will be a long and complicated process which will be full of uncertainties. We cannot be sure if the result will be better or worse, but it will certainly be different.

This movement from the known to the unknown is presented metaphorically as a leap into a bottomless pit; I suppose it's quite a usual image.

< Previous | Next >