leave it,……She slipped on the torn thing

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 367, chapter 16) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie slept with Mellors for the last night before going to Venice. After waking, she found her night-dress was slit almost in two. Then she decided to leave her night dress there. Then Mellors said……)

‘Ay, leave it, I can put it between my legs at night, for company. There’s no name nor mark on it, is there?’
She slipped on the torn thing, and sat dreamily looking out of the window. The window was Open, the air of morning drifted in, and the sound of birds.

Since they decided to leave the night dress there, why did Connie slip on(=put on) the torn thing(=the night dress) please?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Hermione Golightly

British English
    You were right first time - 'slipped on' is a colloquial word meaning she 'put it on', used especially for a light garment put on casually. She would put it on over her head; although it was badly torn it would cover her a little. Apparently, despite her new intense intimacy with Mellors, she wasn't happy to be naked in his presence.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you a lot. And sorry. It does mean put on, judging from the following paragraph: Connie squatted in her torn nightdress, and fell on her food hungrily

Also, "to slip on" when talking about an article of clothing often has the nuance of "quickly" and /or "partially" to cover either nudity or just undergarments:

EX:

"I was half-asleep in my bedroom when I heard my front doorbell ring. I slipped on my bathrobe to go see who was there."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    She was still in bed, but sitting up now. I expect she felt a bit cold. One assumes she left the nightdress in the bedroom after she washed and got dressed

< Previous | Next >